Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd+rw Trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonjordan9

jonjordan9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

im having a problem with my dvd reader/writer. i just built this computer for my wife for valentines day and its already messing up. the unit has power to it but will not read or write any cds. if i go into the control panel, system, hardware, device manager i can see it list the dvd drive there with a yellow exclamation over it. i tried to uninstall and reboot the computer and the computer will recognize it for about 10 seconds and then i start having the same problem again. when i have the computer check the problem it tells me that all the devices are there for it but it does not recognize it. this unit did work for about for days before i had this problem. the dvd drive is just a plug and play device. i have a jetway motherboard model a210gdms, amd 3200 processor, 2 maxtor 80 gig hard drives, 1 gig dual stick memory, and built in 9200 ati radeon graphics card. please help me fix this. my only other option is to clear everything and reinstall windows.

thanks,
jonjordan9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

I'd check the cables to make sure they're well-seated. Also, did you get the jumpers correct? Check the instructions if any came with the drive. Some writers like to be at the end of the chain and set as "master." And you wouldn't want both the writer and another drive to both be set as master. Did you put it on the secondary IDE chain?

#3 jonjordan9

jonjordan9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

it is a cd/dvd reader/writer so it is only one unit. ive switched it from master to slave and changed ide ports but nothing helps. all my connections are good and ive taken it out and stuck it in another comp and it works fine. someone told me earlier about it might have blacked it out do to a download but dont know how to fix it.

#4 jonjordan9

jonjordan9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:03 AM

please someone help

#5 jonjordan9

jonjordan9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
Did you detach your device from your computer?
If you have detached your device from your computer because you want to uninstall it, then you must also uninstall the device in Device Manager.
To uninstall your device in Device Manager

Open Device Manager.
If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the category.
Under the category for your device, right-click the device that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.
Note

To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

If your device is still attached to your computer, and you want to continue using it, first check to see that the device is securely plugged into your computer.

If your device still does not work after you plug it in securely, the device might be faulty. Contact the manufacturer of the device for more assistance.
Do these suggestions help you to solve the problem?

No, I still have a problem with my device.
Yes, this solves the problem.
I want to skip this step and try something else.

This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem.
You have run into a problem that this troubleshooter cannot help you solve. For additional Windows resources, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Okay, I'll try to get help elsewhere.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:02 AM

Have you checked the manufactor's website to see if they have a firmware update for your drive?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users