Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother MFC-250C not detecting full ink cartridges

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ashs35

Ashs35

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hi, I am having trouble with my printer recognizing that the ink cartridges are actually full of ink, but it keeps saying "cannot print" "replace bk ink" replace y ink" replace c ink" replace m ink" (being black/yellow/cyan(blue) & magenta(pink), when I take the cartridges out and reinstall them "slowly" as it says to do, the following ink levels appear on my screen after I have put that color cartridge in, accept for the 'magenta' which is also full of ink, another time I did the same thing and the magenta one lit up but the black failed to register the ink level.

Posted Image

After I have done this and closed the lid, all the colors disappear and the box looks like this:

Posted Image
and it says the same thing "cannot print" "replace bk ink" replace y ink" replace c ink" replace m ink".

I have cleaned the nozels on the cartridges & tried the'test printing', 'alignment' & 'cleaning' options but still the same message comes up "cannot print"

I would greatly appreciate any assistance if anyone knows what is happening.
YouTube.com/ashs35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Maybe? :whistle:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/002600/000007/faq002607_000.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc290c_all

Title:
How do I clear the message "Cannot Detect" from the display?
Description:

The message "Cannot Detect" will appear on the display of the Brother machine after installing an ink cartridge(s) that is (1) installed too quickly or (2) broken or damaged or (3) a non-Brother cartridge that causes the message to display. Verify the ink cartridges are installed correctly by following the steps listed below:

Check that the machine's power is turned ON and install the ink cartridges. If the machine's power is off, it will not be able to detect that the ink cartridges are installed.

Are you using the real Brother cartridges?

Good Luck
Roger

One other thought are there any contacts that may to be cleaned in the printer or on the cartridge. I know HP has them.

Edited by rotor123, 24 May 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Ashs35

Ashs35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

Yeah the same (Brother) ink cartridges have been used in the same machine before without a problem, I noticed it says "Once you open an ink cartridge, install it in the machine and use it up 'within six months' of installation. Use unopened ink cartridges by the expiration date written on the cartridge package." So unless anyone else has any ideas I'm assuming the ink cartridge has past it's expiration date which doesn't make much sense because there's still heaps of ink in there.

Edited by Ashs35, 25 May 2012 - 12:19 AM.

YouTube.com/ashs35

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi, I did find
http://www.ehow.com/about_4596577_expiration-dates-ink-cartridges-printers.html

I suspect that part of it is to drive sales. From my reading HP printers now can tell if the ink has expired.

I suspect that the expire date may be tied to air or moisture (?) contaminating the ink somehow.

I did try some expired HP ink one time and it would not work, this as far as I know was before they started checking for that. My supposition is that the ink had dries up or that the solids that I think are in the ink had separated and clogged the print head in the cartridge.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Ashs35

Ashs35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

It's obviously a way to make you go and buy more ink, I mean how often do you have to replace ink in a ballpoint pen? I won't be buying Brother products anymore, not very user friendly.
YouTube.com/ashs35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users