Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce Overheating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Honkycat

Honkycat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hello,
My Dell Dimension 9100 has been freezing with pink stripes and windows shutting with blue screen. I've researched this a bit and it looks like my graphics card may be overheating. I've noticed the fan running louder than normal recently. It's a geForce 6800 and the idling temperature is 107C (ambient 68C).
Any thoughts on what I should do.... replace the fan maybe? Is this easy to do?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

More likely since you say you can hear the fan running all the card needs is a good cleaning.

Try removing it and blowing out the dust. Those temperatures if the software is reporting them correctly are way high.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Jaswinder Singh

Jaswinder Singh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi,
My name is Jaswinder. It could be a problem due to multiple factors. Try using the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following link: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_361944&isLegacy=true.

I am sure it would help you to isolate the issue.
In case the system is running too hot then would recommend going ahead with the cleaning of the system from inside as suggested by Roger earlier.
Thanks,
Jaswinder B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 07:35 AM.
Revealed link and removed spammy content. ~ OB

#4 Honkycat

Honkycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

Thanks guys. I replaced the graphics card and all is now well. Cheers.

#5 Jaswinder Singh

Jaswinder Singh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hi,

My name is Jaswinder.
Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Please write to us for any further issues with the Dell System.

Thanks,
Jaswinder B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 07:35 AM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users