Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won`t shut down completely..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lorrain

Lorrain

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

Hello I haven`t posted in here before but will do my profile soon , just want to get this on
here and hope someone can answer it or help me with this small problem..
I have XP service pack 3 home on my computer and when I go to shut down at night .. I go to start, shut down .
well the computer goes through all the settings then says shutting down . and never does..
2 hrs later its still there like it was.. it just never shuts down completely , so I can`t do a
restart as it won`t shut down .. I then press the power button to close it down and the computer
says program not loaded as improper shut down.. would any one know why it does this.. it seems the
only problem I have at the moment with this computer .. thanks for any help you can give me..
just trying this before I do a full system recovery..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hello and Welcome -
When you go to "Turn Off Computer", is there a mention of "Updates are Waiting to Be Installed", or similar ?
If this is the case, there will be a line below this saying "Turn Off Without Installing Updates", Click there -

Note that there has been a lot of problems with current Microsoft Updates not downloading fully -
If this is only recent (2 to 4 days) that may be the problem -

If this is not related to your problem in any way, then please post back with details of how long this has been a problem, and anything you have attempted -

Thank You -

#3 Lorrain

Lorrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi Noknojon,
No there is no udates mentioned.. just when I go to close it down it says,saving your settings . then windows is shutting down.. and it stays on that blue screen for all night if I don`t touch it.. thats as far as it goes..
then to close the computer down I have to push the power button to turn it off.
next morning when I go to turn it on there is no mention of like it used to when you shut down
like it used to do a scan for your disc to make sure they are ok for shutting down improper. .. nothing like that it just opens straight into windows.. I really don`t have any idea as it is going ok just won`t shut down.. or reboot .

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hi Lorrain -
Can you please first post back with the Antivirus program that you are running at this time.

Now also please post a snapshot with Speccy for more of your system details
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions
Also, Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware free, update and scan with this program

Next go > Start > Run box and type chkdsk /r (note the space between K and /). This will do the scan you mentioned, but deeper.
This will schedule a scan next time you reboot so stop the computer (by whatever method needed) and then restart.
The scan may take anything from 1 to 2 hours, so let it run, and it should automatically restart shut down and restart when finished.

See how we go after that and I hope someone will pick this up after this (I may not be available for a day or so)

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 23 May 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

FWIW:

Troubleshoot XP Shutdown Problems (MS) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Here are some steps you can take to try to speed up / troubleshoot Windows Shutdown. Before editing the registry, be sure to either create an image of your system partition or backup the registry. If you don't know how, please ask.

1) Make sure "clear pagefile at shutdown" is not enabled:
start - run - regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0

2) Start - Run - Regedit
Navigate to the following Registry key:
HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Double click on the AutoEndTasks entry and replace the 0 with a 1 in the Value data text box

For the next two, if the dword value indicated does not exist, create it:

Double click on the WaitToKillAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 2000

Double click on the HungAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 1000

Reboot

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
Right-click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change it to 2000

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

If the above doesn't work we can try to isolate the process causing the problem:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#8 Lorrain

Lorrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

First I should tell you that I have my IP server`s own anti virus , spyware and firewall.. its
mcafee I think... does tend to make the computer slow at times and the scan takes forever,, so have
to do that over night ..
I took a speccy of the system ..

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Celeron
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
1.25 GB
Motherboard
Acer E61ML 53 C
Graphics
Acer AC713 (1024x768@60Hz)
SiS 661FX_760_741_M661FX_M760_M741
Hard Drives
39.1GB Seagate ST340015A (PATA) 36 C
Optical Drives
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-118L
Audio
Realtek AC'97 Audio

I also did the chkdsk a r on it and what do you know the computer shut down.. first time for a while.. but the problem now is its sort of slow to respond to pages I open also today it down loaded 11 updates I had to restart it and all ok it worked great but the Net framework 1,1 won`t load .. is it needed? I still might run those things through that you said Allan as I still think there is too much starting up with it.. takes forever ..
thanks everyone for your help and can you tell me is Ccleaner a good tool to use.? I had to take off Malawarebytes as everytime it came on it said had an error loading and it never loaded properly.. but any way another time for that thanks again..

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

ccleaner is useless. It does absolutely nothing to effect system performance.

#10 Lorrain

Lorrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for that Allan I`ll remove Ccleaner then I have never been too happy with
the thought of it changing or doing things to the registry..enjoy your day there
and the computer is going great.. seems a lot better after using the fixes you said there..
thanks for your help..

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi -
You need to not accept any updates that were listed prior to May 23, as there were a few faulty ones.
Go to Start > Programs > and at the top of the "tree" is usually Windows Update - Check on the Left side for Update History and "Failed Updates".
These should have been replaced with a fresh set of security updates on or after May 23 -

Now select only "Express" updates and see what is listed .....
Next select "Custom" updates, click on the ( + ) sign, and at the bottom tick the box that says "Dont show this update again".
As of yesterday, I think there were 3 "Optionals" listed for XP, but they are not required -

#12 Lorrain

Lorrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

Hi Noknojon thanks for the advice and I did what you advised in Windows updates.. so the shutdown problem is ok but still it is hanging a lot.. I still think its got something that makes it freeze up not responding .. other wise all seems good.. how do you check that out I did a scan with the anti virus spyware took about 3 hrs or so and didn`t find any thing and I forgot to mention I have bigpond`s own anti/virus spyware and firewall.. are they good to use or do you think they monopolise the computer like stop things loading.. and things like that.. thanks again for any help..

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

Hi Lorrain -
You do not always need to use the Antivirus that your ISP (BigPond) adds -
This will help us to see the Antivirus programs that you have, and we might be able to help remove a few more programs that cause "hangs" -
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
I can look back tonight, or first thing in the morning to check the report for you -

EXTRA - You should have 5 total .NET items listed - 1.1 / 2 / 3 / 3.5 / 4 - Plus a few updates with them -
Look in Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs , to see what ones are listed there (in Microsoft items) -

Edited by noknojon, 27 May 2012 - 04:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users