Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Way to Restart Windows 7/Toshiba Laptop Without a Keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brette

brette

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

I spilled cereal on my laptop and half the keys stopped working. Obviously, I need to get the keyboard replaced, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to restart the computer without using the keyboard? I am currently stuck on the Windows Error Recovery screen and since the enter key doesn't work, I can't get it to start normally, in safe mode, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite L755.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

try rebooting the PC via the power button. Turn on the computer, and the recovery screen should come up. Highlight the choice you want, and wait. It takes (i think) 30 seconds before it will automatically select your choice. Thats if your arrow keys work.

Edited by derek.ellis, 23 May 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#3 brette

brette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

Various keys will work, but the enter key to select to start the computer normally doesn't work. The mouse doesn't show up on the computer to double click on anything.

#4 brette

brette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

My old computers did restart automatically after 30 seconds, but this one just stays on the screen forever or until you hit enter (arrow keys do work). Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it.

Edited by brette, 23 May 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#5 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

sound like time to get a new keyboard

#6 brette

brette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

I've already ordered the replacement, but now I have to wait weeks to access my files, which sucks, but I'll have to deal with it. I figured no use in buying a USB keyboard because it likely won't work until it's installed anyways.

#7 Johnstone_01

Johnstone_01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

You could probably purchase a cheap usb keyboard and use it as a replacement in the mean time.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I've already ordered the replacement, but now I have to wait weeks to access my files, which sucks, but I'll have to deal with it. I figured no use in buying a USB keyboard because it likely won't work until it's installed anyways.

This isn't necessarily so. If you have a USB keyboard or can borrow one it's worth trying since the BIOS may recognize the keyboard automatically as a basic keyboard.

#9 Johnstone_01

Johnstone_01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

This isn't necessarily so. If you have a USB keyboard or can borrow one it's worth trying since the BIOS may recognize the keyboard automatically as a basic keyboard.

This isnt one of those forums where people post for post count rather than content, if you read the thread you would notice what you have said is in the above post?

#10 qzx

qzx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

This isnt one of those forums where people post for post count rather than content, if you read the thread you would notice what you have said is in the above post?

What? I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Aside from the terrible grammar, what post are you referring to? The post you quoted or your own post? Further, what he has said, that the bios will probably recognize the keyboard automatically, was not already stated in this thread. It seems like Andrew is just trying to be helpful, so I'm not sure why you chose to reply in the manner you did.

#11 Johnstone_01

Johnstone_01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

What? I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Aside from the terrible grammar, what post are you referring to? The post you quoted or your own post? Further, what he has said, that the bios will probably recognize the keyboard automatically, was not already stated in this thread. It seems like Andrew is just trying to be helpful, so I'm not sure why you chose to reply in the manner you did.

I will tell you exactly what i am trying to get across, this will also be my final post in the thread. It aggravates me when i check back on a thread to see users posting the same information, especially if you are the user looking for a fix. If you cannot see that the posts in question, had the same content other than the comment that the BIOS may recognize the USB Keyboard. Which in my opinion is irrelevant information, that usually leads to a non literate user getting confused.

I'm yet to come across a modern laptop that will not identify a USB HID in the BIOS, and in the majority of cases computer operating systems do not block the installation of a USB Human interface device. If ive hurt Andrews feelings i am sorry, That being said im sure andrew could have called me on it if he had felt the need, but what does it say about you?

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Please keep your posts on-topic or start a new topic. If you have an issue with another member you should contact a forum moderator; if you have an issue with me you can contact me or a site administrator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users