Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 constantly goes back to log in

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

I am trying to help a friend that has a Toshiba laptop. It is running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium with 4 gigs of Ram.

The problem they are having is that as soon as they stop working with any program, game,etc. the computer will go back to the log in menu and wait until their password has been entered. Once it does, it will go back to where it was. I was running Windows Update and it did it then. It is so weird to see it part way through an update download and have it go back to the sign in.

I've tried the following:

1. I reset all setting to Never so that the computer should never go to sleep. It didn't help.
2. I deleted the password on the computer. Now my friend doesn't need to log in but the computer still
waits for her to click on the administrative icon before it goes back to Windows.

I don't understand this problem. I've looked all over the net and even supposed to have solved the problems by several of the posts but it just doesn't work. I can't understand that if the computer is "NEVER" supposed to go to sleep why it is!

Thanks for any and all suggestions. I sure hope someone has had this problem and assist.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi JazzMahn,

The computer is not going to sleep it is going to the logon screen. Try opening the screen saver dialog box, and see if the "On resume, display logon screen" is checked. If it is, even if no screen saver is selected, the computer will go to the logon screen after a period of idle.

Hope this helps

Edited by everready, 23 May 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the assistance. I drove myself crazy trying to find out what was going on. You were dead on with the right solution.

Would buy you a cold beer if you were anywhere around.

Thanks again!

#4 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi JazzMahn,

Glad I could help, I learned something too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users