Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Celas infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NullVoid

NullVoid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi when I start windows I get celas lockout screen. The same happens when I tried to boot in the safe mode. Essentially I have no access and don't know what to do. My computer is 7 years old and runs XP not sure which SP. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hello, if you encounter any trouble with the steps below, please do not continue, but instead post back here.

1. Download PCRegedit_Free.ISO
2. Burn the ISO file to CD. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.
3. Once you have burned this as an ISO image, insert the CD into the drive, and then restart the computer. You may have to change the boot priority in order to boot from CD. (typically the boot menu can be accessed by tapping F11 or Del)
4. Once PCRegedit is loaded, choose config, then select the file SOFTWARE.
5. Navigate to root > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon.
6. Look for the Shell value and make sure that the value is set to explorer.exe
Most likely the Shell value data will now look like: C:\Windows\Temp\<some random name>\setup.exe

Exit and save the changes if asked, reboot in Windows and see if you still get the error.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users