Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk - too slow?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jenesis

jenesis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hey,

I'm new to the forum. I've got a problem with my computer that has me stumped.

My system: Studio XPS 8100. i5. 8GB ram. 750gb HD. ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB

Some background: A couple weeks ago I imported about 400 photos from my vacation into Lightroom 2. My computer lagged, and even though I would end the lightroom process, it would not help. I'd have to restart the computer. Everytime I opened LR, my computer would lock up. I figured the catalog was corrupted, I reverted to a backup and all was good. Until this weekend, while importing my photos it happened again. My computer seems to work fine until Lightroom is opened. I downloaded the latest version (trial) and tried again, no luck. (Note: Photoshop and games were running seamlessly)

While doing some research, someone suggested chkdsk. So I did, and that brings me to where I am now.

My problem: I scheduled a chkdsk at restart, and believe I checked off both options. The first 3 stages went by fast (1/2hr at the most), then at 12% of stage 4, chkdsk slowed almost to a halt. As of writing, it has been running for over 20 hours and is at about 298077/495856. It is probably worth noting that my 750gb hd is probably has probably about 400gb data, probably less.

How long is too long? I've read it may take awhile, but this seems like it is way too long.

I'm thinking it may be a issue with my hard drive and have no problem replacing it, but it seems weird to me that lightroom would cause the computer to lockup, while other programs are fine. Any other thoughts, tips or ideas?

Thanks in advance :D
Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Lightroom could be incompatible with Windows 7 and that is causing the issue.

#3 jenesis

jenesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Lightroom could be incompatible with Windows 7 and that is causing the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It shouldn't be, I've been using Lightroom 2 for around 1.5 years with windows 7. Adobe also says it is supported.

Edited by jenesis, 22 May 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

A recently released patch to either MS or LightRoom could have caused the incompatibility or another piece of software on your computer.

#5 jenesis

jenesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

A recently released patch to either MS or LightRoom could have caused the incompatibility or another piece of software on your computer.

Perhaps, I will look into further.

What do you figure about the 22+ hours in chkdsk? This seems like too long to me.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

It all depends on how badly the drive is corrupted and the repair process.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

FWIW: I've run chkdsk /r on 500GB volumes and I believe that it took about 4.5 hours to do so.

Key factors in how long it takes...size of the volume/partition and how badly the volume needs to have it run, IME.

I would say that 22 hours is beyond what I would expect...and I would probably terminate the chkdsk and run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (available from the website of the hard drive manufacturer) on the hard drive.

I have two partitions on this system which are about 750GB and I don't recall either requiring an absurd amount of time to have chkdsk complete, although I did not monitor either.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users