Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation of a new video card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Praxidus

Praxidus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

My computer is a compaq presario 5300y and has a integrated video card that works fine. But I have a new game that it will not work for and I have tried to install the new card and the computer will not recognize the new card. I have tried to disable the old card in the device manager and still nothing. The new card is a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT. Its installed and when I try to plug the monitor into either one of the ports offered by the new card nothing happens just a black screen. I do not know what my options are from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi

I'm not familiar with the 5300 Y but I do have a machine here with on board video that I am using an GeForce 8600GT card on.

My main question is...
Is the video card an AGP card or PCI-express?

The GeForce 8600GT that I have is made for a PCIe slot.
I believe there is an issue with finding proper drivers for the AGP version.

If it is an AGP card (which makes sense for a Presario 5300 series PC) then we'll check the BIOS settings for the AGP slot and try to help you find a proper driver (looks like that may be a problem).
It may also be a counterfeit card and I'll look into that for you.

If it is PCIe (which does not makes sense for a Presario 5300 series PC :) ) then we'll make sure it is plugged in right and is actually compatible and then check the BIOS settings .

If you can't tell, take a picture for us or let us know and we can try to find a picture for you.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users