Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make an XML file readable?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barneysplash

barneysplash

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have an xml file I would like to view as html.

The xml file is just symbols and letters, I know
this means something to programmers,
but I'm not a computer programmer!

I've looked around online, and from following some guides,
it says to open the file in a web browser.

I tried to open the file in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.

I get this message:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it.
The document tree is shown below."

I then looked around and tried to understand style information, but then
it got technical above a level I can comprehend.

I'm looking for a program that can
translate the file to something readable.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Barney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

An XML file is just a hierarchical listing of data. The specific meaning of things in the hierarchy is up to whatever program generates and reads the XML file. For instance, XHTML is an XML file, but has visual meaning because of HTML rules, not XML rules. (HTML is the "style information" for an XML file used on the general internet)

If you want to extract meaning from the XML file, you would have to know the specific schema the program used that created it.
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Can you share the file?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 some1special

some1special

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

An XML file is just a hierarchical listing of data. The specific meaning of things in the hierarchy is up to whatever program generates and reads the XML file. For instance, XHTML is an XML file, but has visual meaning because of HTML rules, not XML rules. (HTML is the "style information" for an XML file used on the general internet)

If you want to extract meaning from the XML file, you would have to know the specific schema the program used that created it.

Like he said, XML is a structured record of data, nothing more.
It's usually a representation of a list or smaller database

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users