Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help diagnose unnecessary processes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phineas_rage

phineas_rage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a new ASUS notebook, and upon startup I am using a lot more RAM than I would have expected. This is my first windows 7 computer, and even after a good deal of my own research I am having difficulty figuring out what processes are necessary to have running. First, some specs:

ASUS N53SM
2nd gen Core
6G RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GT

I turned off any applications that I have installed from opening on startup, and will I am using close to or over 2 GBs of RAM upon startup, without opening any applications.

I have attached my HijackThis log, along with my startup and msconfig windows.

Thanks! Also, please let me know if any other information could help, or if I am worrying about nothing.

HiJack This log removed as such is used only for malware analysis in the log forum and then only rarely. ~ OB

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 May 2012 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Are you experiencing any problems with the computer?

#3 phineas_rage

phineas_rage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

It is just really slow to startup and uses what I would think is excess RAM without opening anything. When I do start running applications (Firefox, iTunes, basic stuff) I end up at 45-50% of my RAM. I just wonder what will happen when I try to start running multiple work applications for data analysis, or something more intensive like photoshop or any games. I guess I just feel like giving up 2 Gigs of RAM to background processes is wasteful.

thanks for the reply!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

It doesn't matter how much ram it's using. What matters is whether or not the system is exhibiting problems or running smoothly. What good is ram if it isn't being used? Don't worry about how much ram the system is using.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm sensitive to RAM use not having much. Programs often have stuff running in the background that is unnecessary, or will have things start up automatically at boot up that is also not necessary. Stopping these from running will conserve system resources and will make your RAM available for what you really need it for. Some programs take a LOT of RAM when in use, and if background processes are unnecessarily using it, it won't be available for these RAM intensive programs.

This topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic33012.html discusses startups and how to use the Startup Database on Bleeping Computer.

If you have any questions about startups, you can post your question in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum85.html

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users