Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updater problem today

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

As others have mentioned below, for the first time this morning, after installing 3 new Windows updates as prompted, the yellow shield remained. After doing this twice, with no prompt to restart, I did go to shut down and the symbol was attached to let the installation proceed during shutdown. I did this, then restarted. The yellow shield was back. I went to the Control Center to see what was happening. The history of updates showed that the 3 new updates were installed successfully, twice. However, the express install program said that I still needed to install them.

I was directed to a Windows program called Fix-it and ran it. It stated I had several Updater problems and fixed them, supposedly. I then installed for a third time, including reboot. The yellow shield reappeared for the same 3 updates.

I checked with Belarc Advisor. It stated that I was up-to-date on all Windows updates but the 3 for today were not listed.
I reran the Fix-it program. It supposedly found several problems, which appeared to be the same ones it had just fixed.

I doubt this is my computer, which runs trouble-free. I have a feeling this is a problem with this particular update. I would like to know if anyone finds out anything further. Thanks!

Windows XP SP3, Avast, Zonalarm.

Edited by Firetooth, 22 May 2012 - 10:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hello Firetooth,

I'm having the same problem on two XP machines. One is a laptop (XP MCE SP3) and the other is a virtual machine (XP Pro SP3). I think the only thing to do now is to sit back and wait for Microsoft to straighten out the mess:

http://www.askwoody.com/2012/problems-with-kb-2633880-2518864-2572073/

Attached Files

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

FWIW: After reading this topic earlier...I updated my two systems (one manually, one auto)...with no problems at all.

Louis

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

FWIW: I have the same problem and followed Allan's advice in this topic and hid the recurring updates. I'll wait for MS to issue a fix.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Update:

Of the two systems I reported on above, both are now working properly and no more updates are being proffered by Microsoft Update (either manual or automatic). Also, Secunia PSI is no longer reporting "missing" Microsoft updates.

The problem appears to be fixed.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Also, please read my post here >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic454521.html/page__view__findpost__p__2707509

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users