Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome Now the No. 1 Browser in the World

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

Google Chrome Now the No. 1 Browser in the World

Google’s Chrome web browser just passed Microsoft’s Internet Explorer to become the most-used browser in the world, says the latest data from a digital analytics service.

Although Chrome has edged out IE before for short periods, the last week marks the first time Chrome was the No. 1 browser for a sustained period of one week. Exactly 31.88% of the world’s web traffic was done on Chrome, according to StatCounter, while IE is a close second at 31.47%.

Although the difference is slight, Chrome has been trending up for some time, while IE has been trending down. IE is still the top browser in many regions, including North America, but Chrome is extremely popular in both India and South America — the latter being a region where Google’s Orkut social network also has significant market share.

Original article from Mashable can be read here.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Chrome is nice, I just wish I knew how to interpret the permissions its extensions seem to want. Having recently made the switch from Firefox to Chrome (and an Android phone), there seems to be an increasing push for privacy permissions. One unusual looking Chrome extension called "Turn Off The Lights" can: access your data on all websites, and your tabs and browsing activity. Hmm.

I can't tell if Chrome is being more up-front about permissions than Firefox, or if its just a Chrome thing. Wish I knew.

#3 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Good for Chrome, I guess. Though I still use Firefox and always will. :wink:

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#4 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Agreed Gunto and so will I stay with Firefox though at times I do use Chrome a little. Never use IE though at all. Congrats to Google, good work guys/gals.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Chrome may be superior to IE99, but given Google's uncertain stance on individual privacy and its understandable desire to know all about me to deliver unique and tailored content, I still prefer using an open source browser from folks I trust: Firefox.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

but given Google's uncertain stance on individual privacy and its understandable desire to know all about me to deliver unique and tailored content, I still prefer using an open source browser from folks I trust: Firefox.

Agreed 100%

#7 UNC61

UNC61

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Not only the concern of privacy but the safety factor, too. Security comes first. It is me, just me, :crazy: but I cannot grasp the need for something that looks pretty versus not being safe to use. I am not saying that Chrome is dangerous and I certainly am not saying it is safe.

When I use Bing, I turn off the picture - I am not willing to sacrifice that moment of hesitation of the picture loading and then the distraction of it while I am conducting an online search. Those few seconds are precious to me because they are not to be wasted among the fleeting ones I have left. One does not deserve to prosper themselves at my expense. Give me a better search engine without fluff! Give me service first and the reward is loyalty. I make my own fluff.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I should point out that the data used to determine browser popularity is open to challenge, and uses only one set of criteria from StatCounter. See the article at PCMag:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404714,00.asp

"The other major traffic measurement site, Net Applications, reports IE as having a comfortable 54 percent of browser usage this month, with Firefox in second place with 20.20 percent and Chrome in third with 18.85 percent."

Now this breakdown, my gut feeling and some admittedly unscientific data I have gathered, seems more likely.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Using google as a search I do but I do it thru https://www.startpage.com/ which offers wonderful privacy and even uses google answer, so you are still using google, just more private (like no IP saved and so on).

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Woot! :thumbsup:

Been using Chrome as my primary browser for a while now and loving it. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#11 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

I use Comodo Dragon. Based on the Open Source Chromium and compatible with all chrome extensions but with what Comodo claim as better security/privacy than google (dont think its that hard!) it seems to do the trick and i really like it.
I havent looked back since using it.

#12 phooked

phooked

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I love firefox's firebug tool.

Does Chrome have a simular plug in for developers?

#13 dstix11

dstix11

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hi phooked,
The short answer is Yes!

Chrome has a great "Web Developer" tool extension built in to the browser. Its very similar to the Firefox extension "Firebug" and the "Web Developer" addon (which can be confusing to some as they both show in the Tools menu as "Web Developer"....only the Firebug one will say "Firebug" in the submenu pullout). IE also has some good web tools as well (i.e. - IE Debugger)

I'm a web developer and use both religiously for debugging and using the "Inspect Element" (which is really handy for various design markups, styles, etc.)

The cool thing about Chromes "Web Developer" tool is that is can undocked, personalized, etc...where Firefox is pretty limited to having the tool on the bottom pane. You should check it out for yourself and weigh in on your thoughts :)

It always boils down to personal taste and preference. I primarily use FF for daily use because of the power of its addons (No Script & Malware Search for example) but in design/development, you really can't escape the need for cross-browser testing on all the 5 major platforms. :)

Hope this helps out a little..

dstix11
regards, dstix11

2t17.jpg

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have been a Chrome fan since the first time I started using it (back in 2008). To avoid content tracking I use DNT+, which seems to do a pretty good job.

I'm not a great believer in this type of test results either, it also really doesn't matter, which browser one uses indeed depends mostly on personal preferences.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#15 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

I love firefox's firebug tool.

Does Chrome have a simular plug in for developers?

In addition to dstix11's post there is also Firebug Lite for chrome http://getfirebug.com/releases/lite/chrome/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users