Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do I have to press the back button multiple times to go back?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 notinfallible

notinfallible

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

I have XP and use IE8 and regularly clear all temporary files/cookies/cache.

When browsing the internet, if I want to use the back feature I have to hit the back button multiple times. Sometimes it works like it should, but other times I have to press the back button two or three times to get it actually do what it is supposed to do. This has been going on for months and it can be really annoying. This is very frustrating for me because I cannot figure it out on my own..

I have reset IE, deleted all unnecessary junk files, I even went as far as reformatting and starting from scratch and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know what it going on here?

Edited by notinfallible, 22 May 2012 - 01:29 AM.

The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Have you tried using other browsers instead while searching for the solution? While this may solve your issue at hand, have you tried disabling certain IE addon or toolbars to check on the difference?

Tekken

#3 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

Have you tried using other browsers instead while searching for the solution? While this may solve your issue at hand, have you tried disabling certain IE addon or toolbars to check on the difference?

I haven't tried the other browser suggestion yet. Almost every add on is disabled and there aren't any toolbars installed.

Edited by notinfallible, 22 May 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#4 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

When this is happening it's like IE doesn't register that I clicked on the back button. On the very bottom the screen, where it says 'done' if it isn't trying to load a new page or website, when I click the back button it starts to do something, then it goes right back to 'done' again. When it is working properly, right after you click the back button, that bar at the bottom with start to indicate activity, take you to the previous page, and then it will say 'done'.

I hope that makes sense.

Edited by notinfallible, 22 May 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

It happens to me at times but have not yet concluded if its only on certain websites, internet connection or a bug which in my case is rare. Try checking your current firewall/antivirus proctection settings.

Tekken

#6 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

It happens to me at times but have not yet concluded if its only on certain websites, internet connection or a bug which in my case is rare. Try checking your current firewall/antivirus proctection settings.

I don't think it's the settings in the firewall or antivirus, I have the same problem even when the firewall and antivirus are totally disabled.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

It may be your router device or ISP connection that is having an issue. Check the router/modem activity lights when this issue arises. You may want to reinstall or look for an updated driver version for the network card.

Tekken

#8 sb07

sb07

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have this same problem with IE 9. If I long click the back button, I see two or three intermediate sites (usually some google ads) that stand between me and the page where I was last. It's like the browser is separating the ads into separate pages. I always thought that this was due to AVG antivirus, but perhaps I am wrong, and it is an IE problem.

#9 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

Thanks everybody for replying here. Although I didn't resolve the issue, I appreciate that you took the time to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users