Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen, Computer freezes, & Norton 360 won't start

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 RonTucker

RonTucker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

I originally posted this to "Am I Infected?" After running the tools I was asked to run and posting the results, it was determined there was no infection. I was told post to the Windows Forum. Here is my original post.

My OS is WinXPSP3. I use Norton 360 ver 6.2.1.5 (I think...it won't start). Yesterday, I tried to open my profile and my computer blue screened (I didn't write down the error message). I restarted the computer and it is not working correctly. It freezes and I have to hold the Power Button in for several seconds to turn off. When I open Task Manager, CPU Usage is maxed out. Several (at least 3 to 5) iexplore.exe processes are open and the Mem Usage column shows the iexplore.exe processes running from 40,000K to over 100,000K. When I shut the those processes down, they restart. I have to shut them down several times to get them to stop. I forgot to mention that I hadn't opened an Internet Explorer window. I use Google Chrome most of the time. I've run CCleaner, which deleted 700mb+ of files, then ran the CCleaner Registry Tool. I ran the Registry tool more than once, and IBackLocationsShellFolderImpl... keeps showing up. I updated Malwarebytes and ran a scan and it found 42 cookies. I updated Super AntiSpyware and ran a scan and it found nothing. Since my computer freezes when it has been inactive for awhile, I configured the HD to Never turn off, and I also unchecked Hibernate. I tried to run a scan with Norton 360, but it won't open. I tried going into Safe Mode, but it won't. Can you help?

Update on the above post: I was finally able to start my computer in Safe Mode and run the GMER tool. Also, Norton 360 did start again. I still have my Power Setting set to "Never turn off" the HD and the Monitor, and Never go into Standby. It is also set to Never Hibernate. I've set it this way because it was freezing when it went into Standby or when the HD turned off. Actually, I don't know why it froze.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Ron Tucker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi -
Do you have any current error messages from your computer (including Norton) ? Is this just to find why it had the freeze and do you still have any major or minor problems.
Please be as specific as you can as to why you have reposted here, and the current problems.

Can you please disable or delete your Norton program just to see if this is the related problem for now. You can always turn it back on or reinstall it after a solution is found
You may try another antivirus program like Microsoft Security Essentials Free while your problems are being looked at -

Thank You -
Link for M.S.E. HERE if you wish -

Edited by noknojon, 22 May 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#3 RonTucker

RonTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hi Noknojon,

My computer still freezes. When I try to use Task Manager to help shut down whatever program is frozen, I notice iexplore.exe is a running process, even though Internet Explorer hasn't been opened. When I click "End Process" on iexplorer.exe for each of the profiles it is running under, the Window that was frozen (that I tried to close) finally shuts down. Another thing I notice is there are 2 chrome.exe processes running under my Profile (I prefer Chrome). One Chrome program is running at 73,080K, and the other is running at 18,464K. Is that normal?

Also, Norton 360 is working now. I was able to run a backup using the Norton backup tool.

I don't know if you need this info, but I'll give you view of how my computer is used. I do let my grandchildren use my computer. They surf online game sites (eg, Maxgames, Bubblebox, ArcadePrehacks, Y3, Roblox, Steam, Jumpstart, etc.), they surf YouTube, etc. My wife and I have Facebook accounts, as does my daughter. We use Skype. We do picture and video editing. We listen to music. We sync our iPad and iPod's. I have profile for my grandkids, my daughter, my wife and I, and one other person. We usually just switch users, rather than log off users. We normally don't have more than one or two programs running at the same time. You can see that our computer is well used.

Thanks for your help,
Ron T.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Later post to your Am I Infected topic:

The second one is listed as adware. Fairly minor, in no way of causing your type of serious issues.
As for the first one...

Open Windows Explorer. Go Tools>Folder Options>View tab, put a checkmark next to Show hidden files, and folders, UN-check Hide protected operating system files.
NOTE. Make sure to reverse the above changes, when done with this step.
Upload following files to http://www.virustotal.com/ for security check:
- C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLADResN.SYS
IMPORTANT! If the file is listed as already analyzed, click on Reanalyse file now button.
Post scan results.

Please continue your topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Pending resolution of that topic, this topic is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users