Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Mac OS and Windows on a MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

I just want some thoughts on what I'm thinking about doing. In a couple years, I'll be going to college. I'll probably get a MacBook Pro (or similar, but definitely an Apple). I'm considering installing a Windows OS along with the Parallels software (so I can use both OS's simultaneously, without rebooting). Having seen where MS is taking Windows 8, I'm tempted to buy a copy of Windows 7 now, to maintain familiarity (and enable me to continue using Windows-only programs). However, this obviously contains a risk: that Mac would start transitioning toward touch-screen PCs withing the next two years.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the Parallels software?
2. Does it seem like a good idea to buy Windows 7 and subsequently install it on my Mac with Parallels? Or is the possibility that technology would change significantly too much of a risk?

Thanks for any thoughts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'm sure Apple will make it possible so older software still works. If not by physically attaching keyboard and mouse than by interfacing a on-screen keyboard with different programs. If they did not they would force everyone to dump all applications they already got and by anew. Somehow I doubt many people will be happy to do that.

I'd say go ahead with W7 and Parallels.
Posted Image

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

I talked to an Apple Store assistant today. The conversation really only reaffirmed my weariness. They recommended that I buy both Windows 7 and Parallels now. However, they also mentioned the possibility that things could change...that one of the purchases could become incompatible. This leaves me with a $250 bet ($170 for Windows 7 Home Premium Full @ Walmart, $80 for Parallels)

Any other/further thoughts are greatly appreciated!

#4 Nelson Padilla

Nelson Padilla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Depending on the software you wish to run, you really don't need to install Windows anymore. Check this software out and see if your software is supported. http://www.codeweavers.com/ You can try it free for 14 days.
rummbero59
if it ain't... broke don't fix it!

#5 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

So close...but it doesn't look particularly promising. Thanks anyway...maybe I'll just keep my current windows laptop (even though it only has 64mb of dedicated graphics memory. Ugh.)

#6 acid9burn

acid9burn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

without using the Parellels You can use the bult in BootCamp feature. It comes with snowleopard (10.6+)setup
open utilities>bootcamp assistant>follow on screen instructions> create a partition > after successfull partitioning restart mac while holding "Option" key or "ALT" key you will see bootcamp > click that and it will boot up from there..put in your windows 7 or 8 USB or DVD and istnall windows normally as you do.Any trouble installing post it over here. :thumbup2:

#7 londonliving

londonliving

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

Virtualbox from SUN (Oracle now) is FREEWARE and gives you the same virtualisation as Parallels - with almost the same results.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

If you do the Virtual Machine route, your RAM becomes the main limiting factor, followed by drive space.

4GB RAM is an absolute minimum which will give OSX and Win 2Gb each - workable but slow. Lowest graphics are 256 Mb / 512 Mb for a system to stay responsive with low RAM

I've run graphics packages with it and if you have 8GB you can even use Windows games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users