Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo cmdagent question. ( Grrrr)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have Comodo internet security 2012 on my XP-sp3 laptop.Been using the Comodo paid version for about 1 1/2 years with no problems. This weekend the cmdagent.exe became a resource hog.Google search shows that as a not an uncommon problem. In task manager every now and then it will go to 99 and use 100% CPU. I read one article that basically said that if it tries to do an update and fails it kind of loses it's mind and just keeps trying. Not constant but every now and then everything pretty much hangs up.
Pretty sure it's not malware. Have run MBAM, SAS ( Although I guess SAS 4. is no longer updated?)Comodo virus scan, and ESET online scanner. All come up clean. Also ran TFC by old timer.
Now my question. If I do nothing will this just self correct after a while? As this is the paid version of CIS I believe I can contact them for a fix. Just hoped that there might be a quicker "slap up side of the head" type fix.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

cmdagent.exe is a process related to Comodo Agent Service for Comodo Internet Security and Firewall. If you do a Google Search for cmdagent.exe HIGH CPU USAGE, you will find this issue to be a common complaint from Comodo users for several years especially at their own support forums.

As such, you may want to read Comodo's FAQ's: Solving High CPU problems topic which they provided in response to these complaints.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks quietman7
Past cmdagent.exe problems seemed to be caused by buggy updates. Rather then try the individual changes they mention I think I will try the online chat they offer as part of the paid service.
I watched cmdagent.exe in task manager.Over about 5 minutes or so it worked up from 99% , 100% CPU usage 13,444K Mem to 99% , 100% CPU usage 255,000K Mem before returning to 00% 1% CPU usage 13,444 K Mem.
Computer is pretty much useless during the spike.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

You're welcome and good luck.
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Just wanted to update.
As I have the Comodo paid version it comes with online support. I let them have remote access. First tech increased virtual memory setting and thought this would be the answer.
It was not. May be slightly less slow. I started a new session. That tech started remote access and uninstalled and reinstalled Comodo Internet Security 2012. That seems to have corrected things. :thumbsup: cmdagent.exe is now doing whatever it is suppose to do and not is hogging the CPU.
As the problem with cmdagent.exe has bothered others over the years it must be something in the basic architecture of comodos software.
I have no complaints though. CIS seems to offer a good level of protection and when I had a problem their tech was right there to fix things.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

:thumbup2: