Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird blue box obscuring view in Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 futurecode

futurecode

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hello all,

I'm having a super weird issue on a new computer I just built. I'm a firefox guy, use it on all my computers at home and work, but on the new computer I built I keep having this Weird blue box obscuring view in Firefox? It happens at random, but once it starts I have to restart the computer to get ride of it. I did a clean install of firefox and it alleviated the issue for a week, then it just popped back up right now. Its a dark blue box that doesnt cover the whole browser, just most of the frame field, its scrolls with the frame, and disappears if I click outside of the browser (ie, the taskbar), and it disappears where I highlight a section. Here is am images of it. Can't figure out the issue

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/futurecode/blueboxwerid/blue.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Seems like it could be a malware issue. What security programs (anti-virus, firewall, etc.) are you running? Do they show everything is clean?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

This is odd. Especially with a clean reinstall. Have you tried running without any
addons....Help, Re-Start with addons disabled...?

It is possible to set your own background color. But this is erratic. Do you have Allow pages to choose their own colors
instead of my selections
above checked?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 futurecode

futurecode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Seems like it could be a malware issue. What security programs (anti-virus, firewall, etc.) are you running? Do they show everything is clean?

I have run spybot, windows defender, malware bytes, and Kaspersky Free Virus Removal Tool. I get the low level cookie stuff alerts from time to time, but nothing major.

This is odd. Especially with a clean reinstall. Have you tried running without any
addons....Help, Re-Start with addons disabled...?

It is possible to set your own background color. But this is erratic. Do you have Allow pages to choose their own colors
instead of my selections
above checked?

I tried disabling add ons (and the issue arose both times nowhere near a new add on being isntalled) and tried disabling "Allow pages to choose their own colors
instead of my selections" with no difference.

here is another picture, shows how it dosent take up the whole window.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/futurecode/blueboxwerid/Untitled.jpg

#5 futurecode

futurecode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

oh, also, it seems like chrome and IE are immune to the issue.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Firefox 12....right?

If you have updated drivers for the video card, mother board, etc. and you are not
using a pre release version of Firefox, then I would think it is some hardware issue.
Are these all new parts?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 futurecode

futurecode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Yes, Firefox 12 (not the beta)

I they are all new parts, minus one hard drive, and some peripherals, and I do have all the updated drivers for all parts. (well, my Nvidia GTX 670 has a new driver out today, I'll install that when I get home.)

It reeks of a software issues to me. I mean, I have not other issues with doing anything else expect Firefox, so I can just use chrome or (eekk) IE to hodl me over.

It'll just drive me insane not figuring the issues out!

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

To me, it sounds like a driver issue. Lets see how your GPU driver update goes today.

Also, you mentioned that you are using regular firefox, have you tried the beta or nightly builds to see if it happens with them?

FireFox Beta - http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/

FireFox Nightly - http://nightly.mozilla.org/

The GTX 6XX is still a pretty new GPU line. It's possible that there are problems with FireFox and the GPUs that haven't been fixed yet (why a beta/nightly may fix it). Also, I would uninstall FireFox 12 (stable) before installing either one of these to test as it may cause conflicts or the problem may carry over from doing an "upgrade".

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Found something on your problem from a quick google search for "firefox and GTX 670"

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/927743

The problem goes away if hardware acceleration disabled, but stays when all plugins disabled or smooth scrolling enabled/disabled.

Try disabling hardware acceleration.

http://www.trishtech.com/internet/disable_hardware_acceleration_in_firefox_4.php

#10 futurecode

futurecode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Found something on your problem from a quick google search for "firefox and GTX 670"

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/927743

The problem goes away if hardware acceleration disabled, but stays when all plugins disabled or smooth scrolling enabled/disabled.

Try disabling hardware acceleration.

http://www.trishtech.com/internet/disable_hardware_acceleration_in_firefox_4.php

Thank you very much NpaMA, this looks promising.

I'll give the new drivers a whirl, to see if the problem persists, then try truing hardware acceleration off to see if that alleviates the problem.

I'll report back.

Thanks again!

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well, if that is not the cause of the blues, it sure should be!
Good that you found that NpaMA!

Would be nice if the new driver update solves the problem, futurecode.

#12 waterslaw

waterslaw

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hopefully you have solved your problem and all is well.
If not, and you mentioned "A clean install of Firefox", there may be left overs in the registry from before you did the Clean Install.
Try "Revouninstaller" to get rid of any remnants of Firefox which might keep the problem popping up. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users