Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Registry Cleaner Do You "know And Trust"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

OK, this is kind of a poll. What Registry cleaner can be trusted ? I've used Registry Mechanic V5.0.0.132. It may or may not have installed the Google Toolbar without me knowing it. I deleted the toolbar without too much difficulty. I don't know if running RM helped or not, but it certainly didn't hurt and it is easy to use.

So, what do -you- use ? Is it worth it ? How can you tell ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

Personally I like Uninstall Plus!

That is basically a program that helps to remove programs from your computer better than Windows alone can. This feature helps keep the number of registry errors down. It also finds and points out registry errors.

I have to add a word of caution. I am NOT recommending ANY registry cleaner. These are dangerous tools and can easily render your computer unusable.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

"easy cleaner" by Toni Helenius is a safe, fast, and free registry cleaner

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

I have used several, but with EXTREME CAUTION, and with a registry backup handy. Mucking around with registry entries, unless you are computer savvy and willing to do some research about each recommended entry, can cause serious computer malfunctions. Cleaning the registry, for the most part, doesn't seem to give you much "bang for the buck."
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:11 PM

OK, this is kind of a poll. What Registry cleaner can be trusted ? I've used Registry Mechanic V5.0.0.132. It may or may not have installed the Google Toolbar without me knowing it. I deleted the toolbar without too much difficulty. I don't know if running RM helped or not, but it certainly didn't hurt and it is easy to use.

So, what do -you- use ? Is it worth it ? How can you tell ?

Used it for years & no problems - Direct Download!!!

Crap Cleaner - search for "issues"- it finds registry entries others miss

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/ on page one (left pane)

jv16 PowerTools 1.3.0.195 (last uncrippled Freeware version)
Copyright 1999-2003 Jouni Vuorio.
All rights reserved.
free for personal, non-commercial use.

"personal, non-commercial use" means the use of jv16 PowerTools in
your own home, with your own personal computer by you, your family or
by your close friends. The computer you use jv16 PowerTools in must
be owned by you or by a member of your family, you are not allowed
to use an unlicensed version of jv16 PowerTools in a computer
owned by the company you work for.

Macecraft offers new versions, modestly priced and well documented with helpful instructions.
The Reg Cleaner is also available at the link above. Same circumstances.
I feel that the jv16powertools offers more control, though.
I've used Jouni Vuorio's products with confidence for years.
It was designed to make you cautious. You must actually do some of the work
in cases where default keywords flag "be careful". Other registry problems are more
automatic, flagged as "probably safe to remove". A simple click can repair 100's of them quickly.
The beauty of it is full documentation of the "error" and one-click link per item to it's actual location
within the registry, so you can become more familiar with what "it's all about" instead of relying
on a slick GUI and cumbersome "help topics" that are not specific.

In other words, use it if you want to learn. [manual transmission]
Use others if you want "it to do it all". [automatic transmission]

I can't be certain of it's authenticity, but this quote is intriguing:
(credited to Mr. Vuorio, probably around 2002)

Q: Why did you stop developing RegCleaner?
A: There were many reasons. First of all the RegCleaner was my first real big program, when I started to code it I was still learning the basics. Because of that the code in that program is really horrible, it works but it's very difficult to develop or even to maintain. Also, RegCleaner is a very limited program, everything you can do with it has something to do with the registry. Let's face it, this thing what I do is still more a hobby than anything else.

My understanding is that the jv16powertools was developed first. Its more wide-featured, not just
registry cleaning ... better file searching than winXP's own, and more.

Note: to access the "registry cleaner" open the installed program.
Choose the top left button - Registry Tool.
Many options are available on the left, at the new console, but you must use:
Tools | Registry Cleaner to view registry errors

Edited by phawgg, 28 February 2006 - 05:54 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:42 AM

I had problems w/my computer that could only be rectified by re-installing the OS.I had tried reg.mechanic because I thought it would clear up my problems w/IE script errors, for instance, but it did no good.It said I had all these errors, and so I bought it.After re-installing the OS everything was fine.So I decide to use reg.mech. as a maintenence tool to keep from getting back in the same mess I was in before.Guess what? My script errors and illegal operation errors are back!I'm going to try to get my money back.I would either try one of the freeware programs mentioned above or stay away from the registry altogether."STEP BACK FROM THE REGISTRY, AND PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD!!!"

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

If the script and registry errors are back after correcting them you probably have a virus.

#9 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:56 AM

I've used the steps in the"hi jack this"section and nothing shows up!?Plus I have McAfee Virus Scan installed.

#10 anton_spiya

anton_spiya

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:19 AM

i use TuneUp Utilies 2006, its good... :D

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:40 AM

One I use with confidence is ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility for NT) which makes a backup of the registry on each reboot. Included with this programme is NTRegOpt which automatically optimises the registry in a couple of minutes. They are freebies.

Check out independent reviews from the homepage at: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

I use ccleaner...but with caution. As John has stated, messing with the registry can be dangerous. I have tried RegCleaner, but that one left too much room for error, and since I am not an expert, I didn't want to accidently mess something up. I use ccleaner mostly to clean out my temporary internet files now, and only use the registry function when I am about to run a virus scan, or the compy is running really slow. I prefer to keep my laptop in working order, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

#13 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:48 AM

Remembering always that uninformed altering your registry is a total NO NO and can ruin your OS, those who would like to learn a little more about the 'brain' of your computer can check it out here: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...k,sbxhow,00.asp.

If you are wondering about my analogy above, I like to think of the CPU as the 'heart' of my PC (pumping the information around to where it is needed), and the REGISTRY as the 'brain (giving the necessary instructions).

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#14 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:06 AM

Hey there, i was wondering if i do muck my registery, can ii refromat so everything becomes normal?

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

Hey there, i was wondering if i do muck my registery, can ii refromat so everything becomes normal?

Yes you can. In certain instantes tat will be the only option. Back up your registry on a regular basis will get you an option to restore your registry if something were to happen. I back up my registry to CD once a week on average.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users