Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot find or open .exe files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gemmy25

Gemmy25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

For a few months now, our computer has gone through numerous problems but most of them since have been fixed and haven't reappeared. However, our computer will not open or cannot find most exe files. Today, I got a brand new Wacom Intuos4 tablet which works great but I am having a difficult time installing it and it's drivers because a box keeps popping up that says "Windows cannot open this file." It gives me two options, one that says Use the web service to find the appropriate program and the other says select a program from the list. It is getting really annoying because I've had this problem for months now and I can't find out how to make it stop because it's getting frustrating. I've scanned numerous times with Malwarebytes Antimalware and it's not helping either. Could someone please help me get rid of this problem?

Edited by Gemmy25, 21 May 2012 - 08:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hi Gemmy25,

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

My name is Jason and I'll be helping you with your computer problems. You can call me by my screename jntkwx or Jason is fine.

Some things to remember while we are working together.

• Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
  • Please do not attach logs or put logs in code boxes (unless explicitly asked to)
  • Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
  • Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can also help.
  • Do not run anything while running a fix.
  • If you don't understand a step, please ask for clarification before continuing with any future steps.

Click on the Watch Topic button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.

Note to others: The instructions here are intended for the person who began this topic. If you need help, please create your own topic in the appropriate forum.

:step1: Download and run exeHelper.

• Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
  • Copy and paste the log.txt file to your next message.

Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users