Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway windows vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DNAnet

DNAnet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi, I have a gateway windows vista. My daughter was using the guest account and now the mouse touchpad will not work. The buttons below the touchpad still work and that is the only way to open or close programs. I went into the mouse settings and the touchpad is NOT disabled. This is not happening in the administrator's account (my account), only the guest. I just can't figure out what happened and she said she did not hit anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Try turning off the guest account under your account then turn on the next time.

Tekken

#3 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

I tried that. Turned it off and went back in and turned it on. Still not working.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hi,
At this point I would try creating a new guest account in the control panel/users and see if it works there. If so I believe the easiest course would be to move everything from the old guest account to the new account and use the new one.

Anything else will more or less require you to use a USB mouse to make it easy.

My only other suggestion is to go to the control panel with the wonky guest account and see if something in the Mouse section needs changing.

When you say the touchpad isn't disabled I presume you checked it under the guest account and not the administrator account?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I would like to delete the entire guest account and all of its contents if possible. Problem is, without the touchpad working, I can't select things easily. Vista lets you disable the guest account, but not completely delete it. I checked the mouse settings and everything looks fine. I did this from the guest account and not the administrator account. I will try making a new account and see if the touchpad works. Not a big deal because I can just diable the guest account, just frustrating because I don't know what happened and how to fix it. Thank you.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

You can't delete the guest account from within it. You have to be in a administrator account for that.

I also advise against deleting a built-in account like that. Just disable it and create a limited account.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Roger. I did create another account and the touchpad works fine. I guess I will just disable the guest account. Who knows what happened with that one. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users