Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

right click problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

hi, I my os is windows 7 ultimate dual core 2gh this week the right click command to open the dialogue box ( cut,copy delete,ect,ect )is running very slow the rotating wheel of fortune runs for approx 15 to 20 seconds before showing the box, every thing else is operating ok, any ideas has to what as happened, many thanks ray
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

1) Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Please use punctuation in your posts - maybe it's just me but I find your post difficult to read. Thanks.

#3 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I have fixed this problem with winxp but not win 7 with this fix

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

ShellExView that is mentioned works with win 7 32 and 64

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

You can also use autoruns to uncheck shellex context menu entries one by one and determine which one is causing slowness.

#5 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

hi, fistly to allan, the only new item installed was an update of open office, it is now called apache open office and operates exactly as before, running scans before instal as a usual precaution nothing showed has a virus, so that is ruled out, to jcolt I have downloaded the shellview and intend to do method two, it is a heavy weight program and I will sit and study it before I start, to narenxp, I have also downloaded autoruns, it too is a good diagnostic tool and will make a start into today after creating a system restore point,to the three of you many many thanks for your quick and expert replies, if I am successful in curing the problem I will come back to this post with a reply, again many thanks for all your help, ray

#6 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

hi, thirty minutes using shellexview and l0bit unlocker was found to be the culprit, I downloaded this program months ago and is brilliant at shifting locked files/folders when uninstalling programs, I used it last week to unlock a couple of obstinate folders, the first time since downloading it. shellexview let me disengage it and immediately right click was back to instant,the only down side is that unlocker no longer shows on a right click command and has to be restarted from the desk top icon, this is no great hardship. the cure being found I thank you all again and hope that this post of your responses will help anyone in the future with the same problem, many thanks ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users