Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8 will not start a new window

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krazykat

krazykat

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hello,

I am not sure which forum to post this problem. I choose this forum because I do not have any symptoms of a virus. If the virus forum is the correct forum, please let me know and I will re post.

I have a problem with IE8. My system is Windows XP PRO SP3. My current version of IE8 is: IE8.0.6001.19702.XPSP3_gdr.120411-1615

Problem: IE8 open OK and can access new web sites in the CURRENT, opening window.
When I pull down FILE and select New Window OR select CTRL-N OR CTRL –T a new windows tries to start, but IE “hangs” and never finishes opening the new window. The task bar at the bottom on the screen shows the new window and the first opening window. I can right click on the new window icon in the bottom task bar, then click on CLOSE. Some times the new window closes, sometimes not. Also right click on the opening window and select CLOSE – Sometimes the new window closes, sometimes the opening window closes along with IE8 closure.

What I have done:

1. Started IE8 with run : iexplore –extoff I have no problem starting a new window. Any of the three ways; down FILE and select New Window OR select CTRL-N OR CTRL –T. produces a new window. I can open as many new windows as needed.

Important for item #2 below. While in the mode, I went to Tools, Manage Add on’s and disabled all addon’s.

2. Started IE8 normally from desk top icon, with all add on’s disabled. See item #1 above. Same problem, could not open a new window.

3. Completely removed IE8 , with ADD/REMOVE programs. Then down loaded and installed a fresh copy of IE8. Same problem, still unable to open a new window with the new copy of IE8 with no add on’s installed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Go - Start > My Computer > Right click on C Drive (or your H/Disk letter) > Properties > Tools > Error checking > Check Now -
It will say your drive is in use, Schedule a check on next restart (or similar), Tick Both boxes and Reboot -
This will run a disk check to look for and correct errors, if it can - The scan is a 5 stage check and can take 45 mins to 2 hours (average is 1 hour), so just let it run -
It will reboot when finished, so do not stop the scan while it is running -

This may not be the main cause, but it will narrow it down -

Do you still have a Genuine XP CD, or can you borrow one to suit Your System XP PRO - Any version of XP Pro will do, as you can run updates after (if required) -

#3 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the information. Will give it a try this weekend.

Yes I have a Microsoft XP Pro disk, has SP2. Is that OK?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Yes I have a Microsoft XP Pro disk, has SP2. Is that OK?

Hi -
The question about the CD is only so that you may be able to run sfc /scannow to check for missing files, or if needed, to reinstall your XP
IE7 (from memory) was the standard install with XP Pro SP2, and then IE8 was the upgrade after that.
I recently reinstalled my XP Pro with my SP2 CD and then got M/soft updates / upgrades after that - Let us know how the check disk scan ends up - :)

Thank You -

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Started IE8 with run : iexplore –extoff I have no problem starting a new window.

This is definitely related to addons.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/new-tabs-do-not-open-my-internet-explorer-stopped/ae0726c2-df69-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

One of the user here was able to solve it by uninstalling facebook toolbar and facetheme,try that :thumbup2:

#6 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Hi, all,

My IE8 is now reuuning OK. I can get new windos by any of the three methods. I am not sure what cured the problem. I emabled all the add on, shut down IE8, rebooted computer, started IE8. Did one more check beforming the disk check mentioned, problem did not appear. So I did not perform the disk check, but will keep in in mind if problem reappears. I do not have a facebook toolbar, so that was not the problem.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Krazykat

#7 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

Well, I must have spoken too soon. Sorry, the same problem is back. I ran the disk error checking routine, but did not help.
What would be the next thing to try?

krazykat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users