Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bogged Down Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 just-joey

just-joey

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

hello: Its been a while since I'd had to come and search your brains.

This time its FireFox Browser causing me no end of grief. I was finally convinced to add and use it for additonal /or better surfing security. but I find quite often when I request a web page, it times out on me, and I get an error "connection has timed out" # The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

# If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

# If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Now I finally got peeved and decided to remove the silly thing. Of course afterword it was worse- I couldn't access mail or any quick launch items it seemed. So Idid a system restore, and that didn't help at all except to put FF back on. So I uninstalled it again, deleted program files, etc ( and I don't know how to remove registry keys if necessary.) Then redownloaded FF and installed it once more. Now I can access quick-launch items and mail, and when FF is open to a web site and I want to choose a different page or new site - most often it starts the search then just stops, and times out.
I have NO problem with IE so it isn't my connection to the net. I have specifically put accept Firefox into zonealarm control centre for programs.
Has anyone had this problem? I mean I heard it was so good aND FASTER . Heck i can't even figure out how to get rid of it so as to be able to use the computer after.

Ok > I use XP Pro - SP2
I HAVE 512 MB MEMORY
80 GIG HARD DRIVE W/20GIG SLAVE
I run zonealarm free
Norton corporate (9) version
I run adaware pro, spybot S&D spyware guard and spywareblasater ( I run thru scans every week, as there isn't much found except a few cookies)

I wonder if you geniuses can figure whats behind this problem? hope so if anybody can it would be you all.
Joey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

See this link at mozillaZine Operation timed out

It may be a DNS problem or might even be related to using the ZA Free.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

I just installed FF yesterday after reading so many good things about it. Well, it is SLOW !! I never get timeouts, though. I'll stick with Netscape 7.2 untill FF for the Windows platform is ready for "prime time". I just don't see what people are raving about. At least Netscape has an email client built into it. Its a liitle old fashioned looking, but it works fine. I tried V8.1, but didn't like it and went back to V7.2. :thumbsup:

Edited by pascor22234, 27 February 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

Since you're new to Firefox, pascor22234, here's a couple of things you can check out.
Pay particular attention to the first link.
It should significantly speed up Firefox, for you.

1. Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
2. About:config entries
3. How To Modify Hidden Preferences Using about:config
4. Firefox Tweak Guide
5. Firefox Tuning
6. Favorite Firefox Extension
7. Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
8. Extensions
9. Plugins

These should keep you busy for a while.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:52 AM

If you want an E-mail client, Mozilla offers a stand-alone version, Thunderbird. Or you might like the Mozilla suite which has both and is more like Netscape. I use all of the above, and find they load pages, etc., much faster than does I.E.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users