Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Yahoo E=Mail

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hello,

I just signed in to my Yahoo E-mail account. There was a name I did not recognize blinking and I clicked on it. It is from someone who wants me to join their messenger list.

Yahoo gives me the choice to accept or decline, I have chosen neither option yet.

Again, I don't have the slightest idea who this person is. Could this be someone trying to hack my computer ? Maybe spam of some sort ?

Thanks for any replies.

Dennis :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've a yahoo account but I use the Classic version of the email. I've never seen what you're describing, a blinking name, show up in my email page. Is it in a seperate window that you can close out? Is there a way to delete this request with out either accepting or declining?

Again, I don't have the slightest idea who this person is. Could this be someone trying to hack my computer ? Maybe spam of some sort ?

The short answer is, yes. It could easily lead to lots of spam.

Personally, I wouldn't accept an invite to be on some unknown person's messenger list.

Hopefully, someone will come along soon that can be of more help.

Edited by FlannelBack, 20 May 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Short answer is, if you don't know them it's somebody trolling to send you spam or potentially worse. Delete with extreme prejudice.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the replies !

I think I have classic also. The name of this person was was near the top of the page right along side on the bar that says inbox.. When I saw it I clicked on on it wondering what was going on. There is no message from this person only the request.

I just went back to Yahoo Mail and the name is still there. I don't see how to get rid of this person, yet that is.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 20 May 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Try opening your inbox and see if there is a corresponding email. If you see one, follow Animal's advice post haste. Don't open it, just delete it.

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

No corresponding e-mail but I found a way to delete this person.

I have only had this Email account for a short time and I am still learning.

I was afraid to even hit the decline button regarding the message request thinking it may be like opening a link in a unsolicited e-mail and bad things would happen.

Anyway she/he/it seems to be gone now.

Thanks for the advice folks !

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Very good! What method did you use to "delete this person"?

I was afraid to even hit the decline button regarding the message request thinking it may be like opening a link in a unsolicited e-mail and bad things would happen.

I was thinking along the same lines.

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

When I hovered my mouse over the persons name there was a tiny x next to it which I had not noticed before. I clicked on it and the name disappeared. ( for good I hope ).

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Much thanks.

Might want to make sure the "SpamGuard" is on and the settings are to your personal preferences.

Goto the Spam folder, just below the "Mail" search bar it will indicate it "SpamGuard" is on or off and a link to "Edit Setting".

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Will do !

Thanks for your help !

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

When I hovered my mouse over the persons name there was a tiny x next to it which I had not noticed before. I clicked on it and the name disappeared. ( for good I hope ).

If you clicked on the ( + ) at the end of any persons name, you just added them as a Personal Contact, and you will get SPAM from them -
When you are not sure of any name (Mr Magabee or similar) add them to your Spam folder now. The same every time you win $1,000,000 in a lottery -

I am trying to ask if you had a ( + ) or an ( X ) sign in your email - Click on a ( + ) and you add them as personal contacts -

After many years with a Yahoo ! email account, I have never seen a ( X ) sign ?

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hello,

It was definitely an X.

I do not subscribe to messenger plus I have no idea what it is. I clicked on contacts and it says I have no contacts.

I checked spam and it is all clear.

Not to say I won't end up getting messed up but so far so good !

Thanks for the reply !

Edited by Dennis H, 21 May 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hi Dennis H -
Part of my reply was to also help you with clicking on the ( + ) sign at the end of a name from someone you do know.

This will add them for future use, as you only need to click on Send To and a single letter then select (click on) the contact from the list shown
If this person is listed in your contacts, it is a quick way to bring up all Contacts with that letter as the first name in your list

Since I now have over 100 contacts listed, it saves me from looking each time I need to find the exact name / email of that person / company -

Good luck with your Yahoo ! email, and please feel free to ask further questions if needed -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users