System: Purchased December 2011
H/P Pavilion dv-7 Notebook PC
600 GB HDD
6.00 GB RAM (5.8 usable)
64 bit operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Windows Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 12.0
1. At random times, Windows stalls at startup.
2. At random times, Windows stops running suddenly.
3. Starts and runs fine in both safe modes.
The first symptom was I was taking a break from the pc when I noticed the fan was running on high speed as though a lot of processing was taking place. No downloading or anything else was taking place. That's when the first (quit during running occurred). Following that, I had to do a hard kill, etc. Then the no start would occur. The desktop would launch and that's all it would do. I would have to do a hard kill to power down the pc. When the system won't start up, I get a small error window which states to the effect that Windows is not responding. Normally, when it stops during running, I get the Firefox not repsponding. Both of these require a hard kill. If I boot up in safe mode and reboot in normal, all is well.
Everything was great until approximately 2 weeks ago when I downloaded a 7gb document via uTorrent. This was my first experience with that and I made multiple mistakes. The problems began shortly after download completion.
Viewing my task manager Immediately after download, I noticed 1 of 2 iexplore.exe files was near 500mb. I thought perhaps this was a result of my system being stuck in cybermud during my download attempts. I was using Explorer at the time though Firefox is my daily browser. I killed the process (iexplore.exe) and all appeared well. The problems began again 2-3 days later. I've been using only Firefox since the first experience.
Additionally, for the past 3 days, my desktop will reappear after it's 3 minute timed out. I set the 3 minutes in the "turn off the display" selection in Power Options.
No problems today other than the display issue.
I have run multiple H/P diagnostics tools in the included software in my H/P notebook. No problems found.
Reckon that's about all I can think of right now.
Any help will be truly appreciated,
After reading this newly discovered forum, I downloaded both spybot and hijack this. I configured and ran both per this forum's tutorials (thank you).
Spybot found nothing.
I scanned and saved to logs both my scan and startup list from hijack this.
This post has been edited by bamashooter: 11 May 2012 - 11:13 PM
20 May 2012
I originally posted this in the Security / Am I Infected section. Thanks to forum member boopme, it appears I'm clean of viruses and such causing this problem. Here's the original thread, replies, actions taken etc: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453356.html/page__p__2696354__fromsearch__1#entry2696354
In the past week, I have had no start up problems. I have had only 2-3 issues with the pc freezing. Here is my best description of the problem as of yesterday:
1. Firefox is my primary browser.
2. Power up my system, launch Firefox approximately 60 seconds after I turn the computer on.
3. I might be browsing, participating in a forum, etc and I get the "Firefox Not Responding" message atop the browser window.
4. I can minimize the browser but not close it.
5. I can click Start, slide over to shut down and not be able to shut down.
6. I cannot open Task Manager. Basically can't open anything when this happens.
7. If I click within the browser window, the window will be "painted over" with a translucent white color.
8. Unlike the first week or so of this problem, If I wait it out for, 10/20/30 minutes the problem goes away.
9. Also, I have had no start up issues during this time period referenced in entry #8.
That brings you up to my current situation.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Edited by bamashooter, 20 May 2012 - 05:20 PM.