Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to port forward cisco e1000

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cowboys2006

cowboys2006

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

OK here is what is going on. I recently installed the dd-wrt firmware on my router. ok let me start from the beginning prior to that i had the regular firmware on it. i am unable to port forward i have already done all the port forwarding on the router and when i go and check to see if its open it says it closed. now i installed the dd-wrt firmware tried it again and still gettting the same thing. what i am having the problem is with my ps3 and my survallince cameras. on my ps3 i am getting nat 2 moderate and sometimes strict. on my survalliance i am unable to view them remotely.I have a fixed wireless antenna for internet. i dont have a modem installed its just from the antenna it connects directly to my router. I hope all this makes sense lol. I am getting all confuse with all this.

I was reading on http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Port_Forwarding_Troubleshooting and i think i have the issue with this under Check the WAN IP If the WAN IP begins with 192.168.x.x, 172.[16-31].x.x, or 10.x.x.x then the router is behind another router that is also doing NAT. You must configure that router to either DMZ or port forward to the DD-WRT router.

my wan ip starts with 172. now according to my internet comp they say that i have a private ip address.

Can anyone help me with this issue and would like to get it to work.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

The isp is Assigning you a private ip address which means your behind their firewall. The only way around is to request a public ip address or have them enable dmz for your address. Both.of which I'm sure cost extra.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

ok thanks for that info now my question is that if i request that stupid public ip address it will work for sure. I dont want to request it and then have the same issues. it will cost me an extra 14.95 for that public ip address. which i think its stupid they should just provide it with the service. but i am very limited on isp in my area i live out in the country and its a wireless internet antenna. its fixed.

thank you for the info

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Sorry, I didn't notice this post before when I was helping you in the other topic.

If you're getting a private IP address from your ISP, then Sneakycyber is correct. You will need to contact them and ask for a public or static IP address.

#5 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

sorry about that npama

so if i get that public ip address it will fix the issue and open me up to the internet.

also is there any disadvantages to having a public ip address?

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

It's hard to comment on the "advantages" since your ISP has already proven that they use firewalls to block services inside of their own network and don't just "pass" all traffic through to you. Under normal conditions, the difference in getting a public IP address and using a NAT IP like you currently have is that you will have access to open/close ports as you need them via your router/modem.

So yes, this should open the ports for you.

Disadvantage: You will need a router/firewall in place to block unwanted traffic coming/going. But this shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the firewall enabled on your router.

Also, who is your ISP if you don't mind me asking? If they have a website, I wouldn't mind checking it and seeing if I can confirm if the public IP will fix it for you.

Edited by NpaMA, 28 May 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#7 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

there website is http://twin.net/

let know what you think

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

I don't really see anything on their site about what you can or can't do on the network. So the public IP should fix it.

Also, do you know if their "public IP address" is static or dynamic? Either one *should* work, it's just that $15 for a dynamic public IP sounds like a rip off IMO.

#9 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

it will be a public static ip address

so to make it clear this should fix the problems with port forwarding with my ps3 and also my survalliance. also will this fix the issue with some lagging with my ps3? and nat been on moderate or strict.

it should change it to open right????

thank you for all your help i been searching all over the internet and trying to learn all this networking. and all this private nats and public ip address.

#10 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Yes, it should fix the PS3 NAT problem (assuming you correctly forward the ports in your router).

With the surveillance camera problem - if you're going to be uploading those to the internet just remember that your ISP has a 20GB/month limit. I noticed that yesterday when I first checked into your ISP. Also, allowing a constant stream from your camera to the internet would be listed under "hosting". Again, check with them as they may want to force you into a business-level plan.

#11 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

ok wow i didnt see that but i called today about it and they said that i just have to agree to the extra 15.00 for that ip address and within hrs its setup and ready to go. do you think its worth 15.00 for that ip address.
now i would not be wanting to check the cameras when i am out of town or out of the house. would that still be hosting?

thank you

#12 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

ok wow i didnt see that but i called today about it and they said that i just have to agree to the extra 15.00 for that ip address and within hrs its setup and ready to go. do you think its worth 15.00 for that ip address.

A static IP normally runs between $5-12. $15 is a bit high, but if you need it - then it's not too overpriced.

now i would not be wanting to check the cameras when i am out of town or out of the house. would that still be hosting?

Technically it would be hosting, but aslong as you are the only one accessing it then it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it's just setting on your network where you can remotely access it, it isn't really using bandwidth. Just make sure you don't leave it up on your laptop/computer viewing it 24/7 over the internet.

#13 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

one last question when i get that public isp do i have to do anything on my router at all other than port forwarding the ports? do you know?

thank you

#14 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

one last question when i get that public isp do i have to do anything on my router at all other than port forwarding the ports? do you know?

thank you

It depends on there setup. They may assign the static IP to your radio/antenna, then DMZ your router for you. Then all you'll have to do is open the ports. However, my WISP bridges the radio and gave me a static IP to assign in my router. Either way, shouldn't be that much of a problem and will depend on how they do it. The end result is the same for the most part.

#15 cowboys2006

cowboys2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

ok thank you very much for all the help on this matter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users