Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate-like free firewall for Win7x64 ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DeLuk

DeLuk

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Greetings to the forum. :)

Looking for advice on which free firewall to choose for a recently purchased laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit...

Since ever being a user of Sygate Personal Firewall on our old XP desktop, and pretty much appreciating the kind of application-based control it offers, plus its logging capabilities, I now wonder what to choose for a firewall, for the new OS?...

Been reading around (Gizmo's and Matousec's guides/reviews taken as main reading reference) and realize it ain't as easy a choice, coming to a 64-bit system...

Thus I'd greatly appreciate any additional insight on the subject, please. Also, any further reading you'd advise for reference as well to help enlighten my choosing?

Many thanks in advance for your time and input. :)

FYI (in case of any known conflict issues in your experience) the "rest" of the security-set on this system includes Avast 7 Free + WinPatrol Free + SpywareBlaster + on-demand Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + on-demand SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

Edited by DeLuk, 21 May 2012 - 04:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Windows 7 inbuilt firewall is good enough. But if you want 3rd party, then I suggest ZoneAlarm free firewall.
Now Checkpoint is also offering Zonealarm free antivirus + firewall combined. The antivirus component in it is taken from Kaspersky. So its pretty nice.

You have installed so many anti-malware apps. Make sure not all of them running with real-time protection. Use them only for on-demand scanning.

#3 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Thank you, Romeo29, for your reply.

You have installed so many anti-malware apps. Make sure not all of them running with real-time protection. Use them only for on-demand scanning.

Yes yes, I'm aware there mustn't be too many applications running with real-time protection simultaneously, as it may end up doing more harm than good, due to conflicts etc, yes, I'm aware. :) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware (being the free versions) are used on-demand only. (I've now pointed that out in my initial post.) Avast and WinPatrol are the "only" on-access ones. :)

As for the firewall matter:

But if you want 3rd party, then I suggest ZoneAlarm free firewall.
Now Checkpoint is also offering Zonealarm free antivirus + firewall combined. The antivirus component in it is taken from Kaspersky. So its pretty nice.

Must confess I'm not much a fan of combo solutions, and rather prefer to keep both apps, antivirus and firewall, one on one. Also, admit it too, would much like keeping Avast for antivirus. (Been a pretty pleased user ever since a computer first entered home, here, for a good dozen years now, which turns it harder to go apart... :))

Windows 7 inbuilt firewall is good enough.

Well, initially, actually, I was counting on perhaps sticking with right that one, as I understand the Windows Firewall improved a long way since the built-in one on XP and should currently provide a more effective protection, both (?) inbound and outbound now. As doing GRC's Leak Test, though, I got in doubt/hesitant again, with regards to outbound protection, as the connection is simply allowed with no notice (?) whatsoever. :unsure: So I'm not sure?... Or perhaps I'm just missing some additional configuration to the firewall?... :unsure:

Again, thank you in advance, for any additional input. :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Windows 7 inbuilt firewall is good enough....

I agree. Please read Choosing a Firewall
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Thank you, quietman7, for the added link.

I did overlook that pinned topic, as I mistook it for this one (Best Practices: Internet Safety for 2008). (I reckon my eyes only read the "best practices" portion of it, misleading me to assume it was that older topic, eheh, thus I didn't even take notice of the additional obvious topic description... :rolleyes: My bad!)

Will read in detail all the info gathered there (for which I add my thank you too) to hopefully come to a choice. At a glance, I see I do have to go a little deeper into getting familiar with the new improved Windows Firewall to better become aware of its actual potentialities. As I say, being a new user to Windows 7, so I am to its firewall (all new, for this accustomed XP user)... :blush: Will take care of getting better "acquainted", then. :)

And thank you, both, once more, for your valuable input. :)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users