Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP vs Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

I now have Windows 7 and just found out that if I Download a program I have to stay with it until it is complete! When I had Windows XP I was able to go to another site while the Download was in progress. Is there anyway I can leave the Download and go to another site?
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

What you're talking about would be "browser dependent", not "OS dependent". However, I'm fairly certain that with any browser in any OS, once the download starts you should be able to leave the site as long as the browser remains open. If that's not the case for one reason or another, you can always just open a new tab.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

as allan said ,its as easy as opeining another tab ,in both IE and Firefox ,the 2 browsers i use ,i can shutdown eitherbrowser while doing a download and the download will continue with the browser closed ,no need to stay on the download page

Edited by caperjac, 21 May 2012 - 06:04 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

What you're talking about would be "browser dependent", not "OS dependent". However, I'm fairly certain that with any browser in any OS, once the download starts you should be able to leave the site as long as the browser remains open. If that's not the case for one reason or another, you can always just open a new tab.

as allan said ,its as easy as opeining another tab ,in both IE and Firefox ,the 2 browsers i use ,i can shutdown eitherbrowser while doing a download and the download will continue with the browser closed ,no need to stay on the download page

Allan and caperjac...I am not computer savvy so would you please explain how I can open a New Tab on Firefox while I am downloading something?
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

You can click on FILE - New Tab or you can double-click on the tab bar.

#6 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

You can click on FILE - New Tab or you can double-click on the tab bar.

Thank you Allen. Now could you tell me exactly where is the Tab Bar?
Posted Image

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

It's the bar where the tab is. Just double-click next to the existing tab.

#8 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

It's the bar where the tab is. Just double-click next to the existing tab.

Allen...Thank you very much for your help.
Posted Image

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Sure

#10 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

You could use Ctrl + t to open a new tab as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users