Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive doesn't appear in My Computer.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

I have just bought a WD Elements external hard drive, but after connecting it to my computer, it doesn't appear in My Computer. It appears in Device Manager and Disk Management, and has been allocated a letter for the drive. I have formatted it in Disk Management and rebooted the computer, but still it doesn't appear in My Computer for some reason. Does anyone know how I can get it to appear in My Computer? My computer is a Compaq Presario.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Try a different USB port.

If your drive still isn't being recognized, turn your PC off, disconnect the data cable, restart the computer, and once the operating system is fully up and running, reconnect the data cable. Give it a minute or two to recognize then you will want to access Disk Management to see if the drive shows up in there. If it does show up in Disk Management, then you most likely have a corrupted or damaged partition and will need to re-partition and reformat the drive for it to be recognized on your PC.

More info here: FAQ: External hard drive no longer shows up in My ... - Western Digital Community

EDIT: Just took a look at your profile and see it says you are using Millineum OS. That could be outdated.
But just in case it isn't, that external drive is only supported in XP and later.

Edited by buddy215, 20 May 2012 - 01:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users