Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trioube with Content aDVISOR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdietz

jdietz

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Mo son's girlfriend brought me her laptop today. It has a program named content advisor on it that will not allow her to connect to the internet.

The program came from Xfinity ND WAS CALLED CONSTANT GUARD when her step mother (now deceased) signed up with them. it included Norton Internet security and this content advisor. The step mother put a pass word on it (haha!!!) and no one knows the password and all our guessing has led to nothing.

I ran the uninstall for Constant Guard and it removed everything but the internet block. There is nothing in Add/Remove programs, in program files folder, running in services or processes, nothing in startup in msconfig and nothing in the taskbar notification area. reg edit shows, hwever that it is in the startup folder in msconfig.

Should I go through the registery and remove all references to Constant Guard?

the path that regedit is showing is c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup\constantguard.lnk

This is coufusing the snot out of me.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

and no one knows the password and all our guessing has led to nothing.

Hi -
It is general policy not to link to programs that will lead to entering a computer with a password (it may / may not be yours we can not tell) - - -
My only personal offering is to use Google to try and find a program with a way to access the passwords required
Others may offer you a link (if you are lucky), but I know this request has been denied previously -

Thank You -

Do not ask questions that are illegal in nature. This includes downloading or sharing copyrighted software, information on how to crack software, or change an administrator password

A quote from the forum introduction guidelines - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/welcome-guide/
EDITED to add quote -

Edited by noknojon, 20 May 2012 - 01:46 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

jdietz,

Let me start by asking you to check something. See if the Xfinity Toolbar is installed. If it is, UNINSTALL it. It won't solve your problem but the computer will thank you. It's been known to be flaky and cause various issues which clear up when removed. Comcast does not have stellar history when it comes to branded software.

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums. If nothing else, your issue can be escalated to the forum administrator who can set the wheels in motion for a resolution.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case post in the Security Forum. We do have people who are very knowledgable about Constant Guard and they may be able to help you. In addition, there is also a member of the Constant Guard team who helps with Constant Guard issues.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you have any questions about the Comcast help forum, you can pm me here or there. My name there is the same as it is here at Bleeping Computer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 May 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#4 jdietz

jdietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

noknojon; Thankyou for the statement of policy. Please note that at NO time did I ask for a password cracker. I am simply trying to find help in unstalling a program that is blocking use of the internet.

Queen-Evie, Thank you for the suggestion of the user forums. I did not think about this. I am in touch with Comcast tech support and they are willing to help but they require the passwords, logins, and emaill address of the subscriber before they can help me. She has passed away and I do not have access to that. Her daughter is trying to use the laptop and she does not have the information either.

All I want to do is uninstall a program that is blocking internet access. I wonder if loading Firefox would work or if it would be blocked also?

If any has any ideas about removing the program please contact me.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Skip tech support. Whoever you talk to may not have a clue about Constant Guard. For now, skip the Comcast forum if you haven't already posted there. My gut reaction is that what you are experiencing has nothing to do with Constant Guard.

I don't use that program, so I don't know all the components it includes. Are you sure it is a CG component? I did some research on Constant Guard and Content Advisor isn't listed as being a part of it.

I have a feeling it isn't. Windows 7 has a built in Content Advisor function and I think this is what you are referring to.

Here is more info about Content Advisor although you won't be able to disable it without the password.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/6019-internet-explorer-content-advisor-enable-disable.html

Try Firefox. If that connects to the internet it is more likely to be the Windows Content Advisor since that is specific to Internet Explorer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 May 2012 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users