Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

So I forwarded ports for world of warcraft and Garena on my router, do I have to forward the same ports in my modem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

The quick answer is no. Unless you have a integrated router in the modem.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Normally, no. I have seen some cases where the network was set up as double NAT in which case you would need to DMZ the router. This seems to be common with AT&T DSL and Hughes Net internet where the modem does not support a "bridged" mode and has a built in firewall.

#4 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

^

Sir, what do you mean a modem that is "bridged"? Care to elaborate on that sir?

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Basically, bridged means your router becomes part of the ISP's network. For example, in a bridged network your modem would "pass-along" the public IP address given by the ISP to the router. If it's not bridged and double NAT is being used then your modem is assigned the public IP address, and the modem assigns the router a private (for example, 192.168.0.2) IP address. Your router then assigns your PC a different private IP (ex: 192.168.1.2) and since it's going through two "layers" of private IP addressing (NAT) it's "Double NATed".

The easiest way to tell if your connection is bridged or not is to look in the router's control panel and see what type of IP address has been assigned to it's WAN interface. If it was assigned a 192.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x, then it's not operating in bridged mode and may be double NAT'd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users