Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD with old HD connected issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xlredmanlx

xlredmanlx

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

I installed an Intel SSD back in December and then had my old HD as a secondary drive. I've had issues since then with BSODs and windows/software issues. I think it may be due to the fact that my secondary HD has windows on it and I've installed programs on the SSD that are already on the secondary drive. What is the best way to set this up?

For example, I want to have main programs on my SSD but there are some programs I already have on my secondary that I want to use. Should I boot up the secondary drive and uninstall all the programs which I'm going to reinstall on the HD to use when I boot with the SSD? Or can I use programs from the SSD windows that were originally installed in the HD using the Windows on the HD? Sorry my questions might be confusing. Just I thought when you install a program some things are saved in the registry of windows, therefore, you should only use those same programs when you boot with that windows. ??

Help lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I did a similar setup with my SSD but I erased the secondary drive (The one that had Windows) after it was mirrored by the Intel Data Migration software. How did you originally setup the SSD?

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

FWIW:

<<I think it may be due to the fact that my secondary HD has windows on it and I've installed programs on the SSD that are already on the secondary drive.>>

Windows only boots into one Windows install...and cannot run programs from another install of Windows. If that Windows install is not booted into...the programs applicable for that install cannot run or cause problems in any way. A different registry is involved, along with a different Windows install.

I recently (last week) installed a SSD on this sytem (using Macrium Reflect) and had no problem using the former Windows drive as a storage partition/drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users