Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Is Invalid

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

I've been trying to install a PCI Wireless Network Adapter on my Win 2k Pro machine. When I try to install the drivers I get the "Data is Invalid" message so I can't use it. I found what I thought was a good fix that involved allowing permissions in the registry but this didn't work for me.

I contacted the support no of the manufacturer and got talked through several things to try. In the end he suggested I get Windows XP!! Yeah, OK. I'll fork out 70 because you make crappy hardware.

Any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

I know this is going to sound simple but make sure tha is not the Mac disk. I made that mistake with an Epson printer a few months ago. Second have you tried downloading divers from the website and installing it manually? Make a folder under C:\ and download to it. Unzip the files in the same folder. Delete the NIC form the Device Manager and boot your computer. W2k should see the device and prompt you to install it. Select Have Disk.... It will look for a .inf file. If it is not in the main folder you may have to hunt till it pops up.
Let us know how it goes.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did select email notification but got nothing :thumbsup:

Anyway, not sure what you mean by mac disk. Only got one CD with it, and that's Windows.

Second option I tried when I contacted the support line. Downloaded the drivers and tried what you suggest. This is how crap they are, no .inf file in the so called drivers.

I think this piece of crap is getting returned. Annoying thing is, it works on my XP machine but I don't need it on there.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Anyway, not sure what you mean by mac disk. Only got one CD with it, and that's Windows.

Mac=Macintosh Some times they have two disk 1 windows and 1 Macintosh (Mac)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

Try letting Windows search for the driver in the MS database.
It's one of the choices you have when installing drivers and the search is automatic. You just have to select the box.

If they have it, it might resolve your problems.

Do you have all four critical updates and the rollout loaded? They include new drivers and enable the op system to work with new equipment that may not have existed in the original basic installation. That may resolve the problem.

By the way, hardware can be defective right out of the box. See if whatever store you bought it from will replace it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 March 2006 - 10:18 PM.

#6 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:48 PM

I've tried that by updating drivers, reinstalling drivers etc. I'm pretty sure it's up to date as I installed some updates last week. I can't connect to the 'net with it now to see if there's more.

Like I said, it works in my XP machine but I don't need it there.

Thanks for the replies. I've just bought a USB wireless dongle so hopefully that will work.

#7 frogleclown

frogleclown

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

This same problem has happened to me. My scanner was working OK but then stopped working, telling me TWAIN drivers were not available. I have re-installed them but it still did not work. After trying all the basic things, I uninstalled the scanner using the utility provided with the scanner, disconnected the scanner, rebooted, disconnected from the net, turned antivirus and fire wall off (important!) and re-installed it. It gave me the data is invalid error. I have been able to use that same scanner on another PC running XP Pro so it cannot be the scanner.

I have purchased a new Epson RX520 for that same machine and I cannot install it either. The same data is invalid error is reached each time despite trying everything I and other friends who are technically trained on computer maintenance have tried.

I am convinced this is something that has corrupted a setting on the PC. Nothing unusual with Microsoft software. Is it a registry error? I just do not know. I suspect an OS repair may solve the problem but a repair sometimes causes more harm than good i.e. may un-register some software and therefore cannot uninstall the program despite it still being there because the PC believes it is not there any longer.

My belief: It is a problem with the settings on your PC. Why is it? I still don't know just now. Let me know if you find out by posting it on here and I will do likewise if I find a solution. Anybody else has got a suggestion? Anybody else has successfully fixed this problem before?

#8 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

When I initially had the problem I found this fix in varous guises. It didn't work for me but seemed to on various sites I found it.

Good luck.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

Scanners have to be installed exactly as their manufacturers specify.

Remove it, read the directions and follow them exactly.

By the way, when there are problems caused by software it is usually the third party code that doesn't comply with Microsoft's specifications, not the other way around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users