Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidental file sharing security concerns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Larry55

Larry55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a few pieces of information about the status of my computer after a 2 week period of accidental read / write file sharing. Here's the list:

1. I want to figure out if there's a log function to show when Password Protected Sharing was enabled or disabled.

2. I need to know who on my network has accessed, modified, or viewed files on my pc (I wasn't running any log programs nor did I have auditing enabled on any folders).

3. I want to know if any files were created on my computer by other network users.

I might think of more later, if I do I'll edit the list.

Backstory: A few months ago my old PC died and I bought a brand new one. I salvaged one of the hard drives from the old PC and put it into the new one, for the purpose of backing up the info and having a second hard drive. Some of the original folders were from a My Documents folder on a Win XP install, so transferring onto a Windows 7 Professional install was kind of a pain. After some messing around with the sharing settings and "admin access" type of settings in the permissions tab, I was able to back up my files.

Here's the actual problem: I guess during the above described process, I somehow ended up setting a few REALLY sensitive folders as "network shared", despite never using a network to transfer any of this. I guess I clicked something wrong under the permissions tab, or sharing tab or something. Anyway, this isn't a complete list, but I know these folders were shared:

C:\Windows (and all subfolders)
C:\Users (my documents, desktop, etc)

So. Back to my list of stuff I'm trying to figure out. Firstly, the Password Protection. It's possible that I disabled this in a misguided attempt at forcing the computer to stop prompting me for a login every time I moved a folder...but I don't remember turning it off. Is there a way to see if and when I had it off? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but literally all of my paranoia and this entire problem would be a moot point if Password Protection HAD been enabled; Anyone would need a password to edit, create, or open files regardless of whether or not I had my files set to full read/write access, correct?

I'd really appreciate some help here.

Edited by Larry55, 19 May 2012 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tek022

Tek022

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Sharing files on the network means your LAN.

I believe that there should be no real danger because a network was not used, like you said.

#3 Larry55

Larry55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Sharing files on the network means your LAN.

I believe that there should be no real danger because a network was not used, like you said.

"...I need to know who on my network has accessed..."

I guess sorta subtly slipped it in there, so I don't blame you for missing it, but, yeah I'm on a network with random people that I don't know who I met off Craig's List. I want to know if the people on my network had access to these files, and if so, when.

Edited by Larry55, 19 May 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#4 Tek022

Tek022

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

They would have had access when password protection was turned off. They wouldn't need a user account on your computer to access those files.

#5 Larry55

Larry55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

They would have had access when password protection was turned off. They wouldn't need a user account on your computer to access those files.

Yeah, I already knew that. Like I said in my first post, I want to know if there's a way to track when that feature was enabled or disabled, or if anything was viewed or edited.

#6 Larry55

Larry55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users