Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Randomly Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Khellendros

Khellendros

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

My Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex external hard drive that has been working perfectly fine for five months suddenly stopped working. No errors or anything came up and the hard drive was still showing on my computer, but when I tried to run any video from the hard drive it failed to load all of a sudden. So I tried moving things to another drive and it said the files could not be found. This was really weird, so I thought simply unplugging it and plugging it back in again might help.

When I plugged it back in I got a message saying it was installing device drivers, as if this were the first time I had ever plugged it in. It then said it failed to install drivers and the hard drive wasn't showing up in My Computer. I tried restarting and it has not fixed it. In fact it's not being detected whatsoever since. It won't even say it's installing device drivers again when I plug it into a different USB port now.

Plugging it into another computer entirely does not work either.

The light still goes on when I plug the USB into the computer though, so I know it knows it's being connected to one.

I don't see how it could have just died as it doesn't make any sense for it to have just got progressively worse with every action I took. Surely something else must be the problem?

Any help?

Edited by Khellendros, 19 May 2012 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

First thing I would try is connect it to another desktop or laptop and immediately make a backup of important documents. Other things worth trying is to use another USB cable on different ports although its not clear if it came with an AC power adapter. You can also reinstall the USB Root Hub by the device manager and reboot. Windows will detect and install them on your next session. Some users also reported little success while computer is unplugged for a couple of minutes and removing other USB devices attached.

The light still goes on when I plug the USB into the computer though

I usually touch and feel the humming or spinning of the platter most specially a compact portable drive when connted to a USB port with lights indicating that it is getting power. The faster the platter spind means its getting enough power while a slower is the opposite. While other notable members and advisors/moderators would probably advice opening up the caddy and connecting it internally (not while under warranty) or using a Live CD to regain your files, let's try and use every suggestions provided from my first to the succeeding posts from other participants.

Tekken

#3 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Alright, so I finally got to trying unplugging my PC for a few minutes and all other USB devices attached to it and unfortunately it is still not detecting it.

It does indeed have an AC power adapter. I tried plugging it into other ports already, nothing.

I tried uninstalling the root hubs but it seems to be impossible. Half of them freeze trying to uninstall and the other half reinstall immediately.

Anything else I can try?

Edited by Khellendros, 25 May 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Did you try checking if there is a vibrate, spinning while it is connected? Did you try it on another working computer? You may want to use a live linux bootable cd to check if you can still be able to transfer your files on another storage.

Tekken

#5 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

I don't feel anything when I touch the sides, but I don't think I ever did before either. Heh. I tried it on multiple other computers and it's not being detected there either. How does this linux thing work to transfer the files? That sounds promising.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Try following this BC Thread and read the complete instruction on post#13 by a notable BC Advisor. Just don't follow the last sentence referring to the boot.ini file.

Tekken

#7 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Alright. I'm a bit curious as to why Linux would be able to detect the hard drive if Windows isn't, but I'll give it a try.

Edited by Khellendros, 26 May 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#8 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, it was the same story. Linux wasn't detecting it at all either.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think the drive is shut with all the testing we have tried. Let's wait for other members who might give another view or approach to the problem.

Tekken

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well...the point of failure may be the enclosure...or it may be the drive itself.

I would remove it from the enclosure and connect it directly to motherboard...to be sure where the failure point lies.

FWIW: Hard drives die every day...they are on no particular timetable. Some give warning, some don't.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users