Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-working Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RoseKidcats

RoseKidcats

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

HP Pavilion a520n
Windows XP SP2
Earthlink Dialup

I experienced a computer malfunction. I shut my pc down and when I started it up again, a few hours later, the Windows Logon logo appeared but instead of loading this error message showed up:

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry can not load the hive {file}
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

My daughter used the HP PC Recovery Disk I had made which was successful as I didnít lose any of my data files. My PC is working except Iíve lost the use of certain programs, such as, ZA Firewall Free, AVG Free, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and probably others I havenít discovered as of yet. I can connect using my Earthlink ISP service but it is giving me an error message also: Please check the SharedAuth value in Registry to make sure MfuServ.dll available.

I tried to uninstall the ZA Firewall program, by clicking on the Uninstall link listed in the program menu, but received this message: The uninstaller can not locate resources needed to uninstall. I checked the Add/Remove programs list and ZAFirewall, Spybot, AVG, SpywareBlaster, Adobe Reader, Earthlink, and my other software programs are NOT listed there, but the Icons are on my Desktop and the programs are All listed in the Programs menu.

How do I get my programs to work again?

Your help is Most Appreciated
Rose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

Has the Restore points in System Restore been lost? I am sure they have. Boot your computer into Safe Mode (F8) and choose Last Known Good Configuration. This (if available) will restore your settings to before the event, but hopefully not before the Recovery Disk was used.
It sounds like the [b]Registry has been damaged and the basic entries where reovered.

Edited by acklan, 27 February 2006 - 02:59 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

Try re-installing your program(s) first. If the program still doesn't work properly then try uninstalling it again and then re-installing it again.

#4 RoseKidcats

RoseKidcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:35 AM

Yes, Acklan, all the Restore Points I had previously made are gone. I asked my daughter about booting into Safe Mode and loading the last known good configuration but she had already tried that before resorting to using my Recovery CD. She said if I do that *now*, Iíll be at the same point as I am currently.

Now to Pascor: I tried reinstalling 2 programs, AVG and my Legacy program. Both programs loaded and gave me multiple desktop Icons but *still* wouldnít work - so I uninstalled them and then reinstalled them - alas, both programs then gave me error messages and would not open or run.

Unless someone has a better idea, (I SO Hope someone Does!), I am going to do a Full System Restore. I have ALL my data files copied onto DVDís and Iíve printed out the URLs for My Favourites, so I donít think it will be that much of a hassle to just Ďstart overí.

The problem is - my daughter canít come home to do the restore for me - so if Anyone has any helpful suggestions or pitfalls to watch out for, please, please let me know. Iím going to wait a few days before doing the System Restore as Iím as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof doing it myself. Is there a website that explains how to do the System Restore?

Thank you, Acklan and Pascor, for the suggestions - I so wish they would have worked.

Appreciative Paws,
Rose

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:31 AM

Windows XP System Restore Guide
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 RoseKidcats

RoseKidcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Update/closure on my PC problems:

I took my computer to Best Buy, (the store where I purchased it), for repairs and they had to replace the hard drive.
My PC is working fine now! And with BC's helpful tutorials - I can Keep it that way.

I Really Appreciate you volunteers that take time to help others!! :thumbsup:
BleepingComputer is The BEST!!! :flowers:

Most Appreciative Paws,
Rose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users