Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google redirect virus still lurking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rd4k1

rd4k1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have what appears to be the google redirect virus. I've edited the hosts file to remove that ::1 [dont remember the rest] line, which seems to have gotten rid of the redirecting, but I still have 11 instances of svchost running, multiple instances of PING.EXE, multiple of conhost.exe, csrss.exe and few other executables I'm not sure should be running like unsignedthemessvc.exe, WLIDSVC.exe, WLIDSVCM.exe.

I've ran (with no difficulty or need to rename) tdsskiller, fixtdss, Malwarebytes, Avast!(uninstalled now), Spybot Search & Destroy (also uninstalled now) all finding nothing (besides a few false positives)

I have OTL and Combofix from a previous encounter, but have not run them for this.

Mind, most of the symptoms I am no longer suffering, like the redirect. But, every once in a while I will get a random pop-up that tries to bring up an ad, but it is redirected to Google. Then there's all the executables that are running too.

edit: Just remembered I also sparingly get a popup about taking some facebook survey or something like that.

Edited by rd4k1, 19 May 2012 - 10:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

We may need advanced tools

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here