Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials wont install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BEANDammit

BEANDammit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I have been trying to install MSE but keep getting error code 0x80070656. I just ran Opswat's App Remover tool which detected no security software installed.I tried Malwarebytes free trial which found 2 problems and fixed them. Previously I had Mcafee installed which was removed using Revo Uninstaller Pro.Help,I need some security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hello, what is your Operating System?
If Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then press Enter.

If Windows Vista, click Start. In the Start search box, type appwiz.cpl, and then press Enter.

If Windows 7, click Start. In the Search programs and files box, type appwiz.cpl, and then press Enter.

Reboot and try again.. Be careful as you have no AV installed here/

>>

Ensure that the Windows Installer service is running
1.In Windows 7, click Start. In the Search programs and files box, type services.msc, and then press Enter.
–or–
In Windows Vista, click Start. In the Start Search box, type services.msc, and then press Enter.
–or–
In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then press Enter.

2.Right-click Windows Installer, and then click Start. If Start is unavailable and the Stop and Restart options are available, this tells you that the service is already started.

3.On the Services page, on the File menu, click Exit.

4.In Windows 7, click Start. In the Search programs and files box, type command prompt. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
–or–
In Windows Vista, click Start. In the Start Search box, type command prompt. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
–or–
In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press Enter.

5.Type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then press Enter.

Note:

There is no indication that this command has succeeded or failed.

6.Install Microsoft Security Essentials again. If this doesn't resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

If you had used Windows Live OneCare , remove all of it.
OneCare Utility cleanup tool

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=167350

Reboot and try again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I have fixed that on a few pc's. Go here for details

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/installation-error-0x80070643/908fad3e-f9fc-4d8a-be83-ae7d3bc48db5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users