Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to install these MS office updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

Strange thing happened today.
I have Windows XP and Office2003.
When I went for Windows updates today, the list, besides Windows updates included four updates for Office 2003, which I installed. But it also included three updates for Office 2007. I skipped those.

No idea what to do. Normally MS list corresponds to what I should have.
I do have some sort of a compatibility pack installed long ago, but I doubt that's related.

The updates at issue are KBs 2596880, 2596672 and 2597162. The descriptions include wording such as 'you may need your Office 2007 installation CD' which of course I don't have.

Can someone knowledgeable about those updates tell me what to do? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

The updates at issue are KBs 2596880, 2596672 and 2597162. The descriptions include wording such as 'you may need your Office 2007 installation CD' which of course I don't have.
Can someone knowledgeable about those updates tell me what to do? Thanks in advance.

The first update updates security information in files.
2nd updated listed = updates a big security hole in quite a few things(.net framework, Windows office, etc).
3rd one is another security patch to stop remote exploits.

Also these updates are used for more than 1 software package, mainly requires office 2003 service pack 3 at least and goes up in versions from there including office compatibility packs.
Also you might have an office 2007 compatibility pack installed, which shouldn't need an installation cd for installing these updates.

Since these are all mainly security updates, I would recommend you to install them.

Edited by Nate15329, 06 June 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

I too have the compatibility pack which has resulted in a time or two getting Office 2007 updates.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Nate15329 and Orange Blossom,
I apologize for not acknowledging your responses.
I kinda gave up on this thread seeing no answers for days.

Having searched and searched through MS knowledgebase and announcements, I, too, determined that in fact those updates were OK - because I do have the 2007 compatibility pack. MS notice that one needs an installation CD is what got me so puzzled. Why can't they speak in plain requirements?!

On June 20th I installed. I guess when M$ tells me it belongs I should trust it and be done with it. I normally do Acronis backup prior to their updates anyway, but in case of Office I was afraid I might not see some bad side effects till much later.

Anyway, thanks to both :)

Edited by tos226, 28 June 2012 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users