Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my new graphics card overheating?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tmorales509

tmorales509

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

I bought my computer from best buy. It is a compaq presario cq5300y. The only thing i upgraded was the memory to 4gb. I decided to upgrade my video card and got a radeon hd 4850. Anyways after installing i was able to play a game for about 1 minute when the fan kicked on high gear. I touched the card and it was really hot, about 10 minutes later my monitor turns off and the card just has a red light, i guess a overheat indicator. I bought a cooler master 460watt power supply since i read that my stock ps may not be supplying sufficient power(250watts) and the problem keeps going.

As of right now, doing nothing but browsing the card is 88C, after playing diablo 3 for literally 1 minute the card jumped to 98C and the fans started slowly getting faster. So whats the problem? I dont want to just go down a list of things to try since i've already spent more than id like. If anyone knows exactly or has a good idea of what it can be please help. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

Check the hardware temps. under basic computer session, idle then on non intensive, grapghics demanding games just to make sure. You can post the results on your next reply. HWMonitor or Speedfan would help you determine the thermal output. I suspect a defective card in the beginning. Any warranty would be preferred as the best solution at this time. 460 watts is recommended for the GPU but the higher the better. Try removing also the side casing panel of your desktop tower.

Tekken

#3 tmorales509

tmorales509
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

normal activity
Posted Image

graphic demandinPosted Image

Non graphics demanding game was the same as normal activity, stayed in the high 80s

Edited by tmorales509, 19 May 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#4 tmorales509

tmorales509
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I went and bought a case fan and threw it in the back of the case to draw hot air out, managed to stay at 90c or less now..I guess just insufficient cooling maybe? Maybe i can get one more fan to put in the front to draw cool air in? Although i dont think there is anymore 3 pin connectors on my MB, can i splice it into an existing fans wire?

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

If it was new, please consider to RMA it and get a new one, for what keep that defective VGA :whistle:
New doesn't mean that that VGA at good shape, sometimes while it damage when it deliver from factory to your Computer so it's better take it to the store and ask a new one as it was just a couple of day.

Edited by abauw, 19 May 2012 - 08:46 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

You should be able to purchase an adapter to allow you to plug 2 fans into 1 4-pin connector. But do not "splice" your PSU unless you know exactly what you are doing. The PSU is a Rectifier, Cleaner, and Step Down Transformer if you do anything wrong it can hurt/kill you.

Have you checked to ensure the Fan is working on your GPU? Please include manufacturer of the Graphics card and which exact model it is (ie ASUS makes 4 AMD HD6770 cards, single bay, dual bay, low profile, and dual fan, so it helps to know which card you are dealing with when working with overheating)

Posted Image

#7 tmorales509

tmorales509
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

yes the fan is working. It is a Visiontek radeon hd 4850 512MB GDDR3. I didn't buy it brand new, i bought it from someone and they said they didnt have any overheating issues.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

, i bought it from someone and they said they didnt have any overheating issues

Well now there's one... and maybe have them test it on their personal computer.

Tekken

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

yes the fan is working. It is a Visiontek radeon hd 4850 512MB GDDR3. I didn't buy it brand new, i bought it from someone and they said they didnt have any overheating issues.

For VGA, it will wise if you buy a new VGA in future, to prevent things like this :whistle:

Maybe your VGA Fan have been untight while that VGA deliver to your Computer, try to press VGA Fan pin/screw to tight it up and see does that VGA still get overheat.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users