Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Issue? Suspect Memory or Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Howdy everyone,

Reposting this in internal hardware, because I think it is more appropriate:

So, my situation seems pretty sticky at the moment.

I have a home built machine that has been blue screening pretty consistently for the past few weeks (no loss of hard drive material). I had scanned for malware, updated drivers, and restored the system to what i perceived a stable restore point. These things did not solve the issue, so I was then led to testing to see if the memory was faulty. By recommendation of other threads on this site, I downloaded memtest86 to scan the memory sticks. My initial scan of all 4 sticks came back with an overwhelming number of errors (20,000 ish) which then led me to test each individual stick. Stick 1 scanned with no errors in the first memory slot. Stick 2 scanned with no errors in the first memory slot (I was subbing each one in the first slot). After putting in the 3rd stick and powering the machine, disappointingly, there was no display on the monitor. The monitor light was flashing, it was receiving power yet no signal from the machine. Since then, I have tried most every combination of memory sticks hoping that it was some sort of connection issue, but with the same negative results- no display. The machine is receiving power, the motherboard is lit, and fans are going, yet the monitor remains on standby. I am unable to do most troubleshooting as I am without any visibility to diagnose.

My machine is a home built original with the following components:

Windows 7 Professional 64b

Processor: CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600 3.4G 8M R

Memory: 4Gx4|CORSAIR CML16GX3M4A1600C9B

Hard Drive: 2T|HITACHI HDS723020BLA642 7.2K -

Power supply: SEASONIC|SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3

Motherboard: ASUS|P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) P67

Video Card: VGA PNY VCQ4000-PB RT

I am sure that I am forgetting some information to share, but any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

The bluescreen with memtest results and no signal already points to a bad stick of RAM. Removing the offending would most likely clear the problem.

Tekken

#3 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, but my monitor isn't displaying anything. Wouldn't I be able to at least run the scan on some faulty memory? Plus, I put all 4 sticks back and still had no display upon power up, and put a "working" stick (meaning it passed the scan) in and still had no results. The machine is on, but I can't be sure of whether or not it's "booting" without video.

Sorry- left out some details.

Edited by lostandafraid09, 19 May 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

The first half of your first post points to a RAM fault with error under memtest which could also cause a no signal in monitor.

The monitor light was flashing, it was receiving power yet no signal from the machine. Since then, I have tried most every combination of memory sticks hoping that it was some sort of connection issue, but with the same negative results- no display

Can you see the no signal in monitor or do you mean totally blackscreen with no display (no signal) with a hard drive activity and numlock can be turned on and off?A RAM stick swap on available slot(s) is a more advanced, faster testing than memtest given that your have 4 sticks of RAM. I was not able to check your mobo specs online, but if you have the onboard video available, please use it first by removing the video card and enabling the built-in GPU.

Tekken

#5 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I mean totally black screen. I don't think my mobo has any video capability. I will check again. So, I might want to find another video card to test if it doesn't?

#6 bsny

bsny

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Can you see the no signal in monitor or do you mean totally blackscreen with no display (no signal) with a hard drive activity and numlock can be turned on and off?A RAM stick swap on available slot(s) is a more advanced, faster testing than memtest given that your have 4 sticks of RAM. I was not able to check your mobo specs online, but if you have the onboard video available, please use it first by removing the video card and enabling the built-in GPU.

No onboard vid on this mb. Documentation makes no mention of a requirement to use the sticks in pairs on this mb. Would it be reasonable, then, to put a stick in slot 1 and try booting? If that fails, try another stick?

The Quadro4000 video card only requires 1gb of memory according to its specs, so (if it is healthy) it should function fine.

Is it also logical to suspect the mb if no boot with any of the sticks?

Thoughts?

#7 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Before the loss of display, I scanned two sticks individually, computer booted and scanned them okey dokey, but after trying a 3rd individual stick, I lost display. Since then, I have tried putting back JUST the individual sticks (that passed the scans) and still no display. I have also tried pretty much every combination of the sticks with no results.

I would also like to reiterate that the machine lights up and is powered, but no display. Kind of confusing, as I think some might have interpreted that the machine doesn't power- WHICH IS NOT THE CASE. Not sure whether or not it is actually "booting".

I have a couple of people also looking at the issue, and they are starting to suspect the MB as well. Would a faulty motherboard cause errors in scan and lead to a loss of display?

Edited by lostandafraid09, 19 May 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Not sure whether or not it is actually "booting".

The 'numlock' lits up and it also can be turned on and off. Have you tried reseatting the graphics card and cleaning the gold contacts. Remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and power drain he tower by pressing the power button (power cord unplugged) for 20 seconds. I guess you would need to borrow a video card to determine if it is indeed the motherboard.

Tekken

#9 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

jhayz,

No response on the keyboard when hitting numlock. It has indicator lights and I am almost positive that one of them is for numlock, so no dice there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users