Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery Hardware Issue- Suspect Motherboard or Memory

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Howdy everyone,

So, my situation seems pretty sticky at the moment.

I have a home built machine that has been blue screening pretty consistently for the past few weeks (no loss of hard drive material). I had scanned for malware, updated drivers, and restored the system to what i perceived a stable restore point. These things did not solve the issue, so I was then led to testing to see if the memory was faulty. By recommendation of other threads on this site, I downloaded memtest86 to scan the memory sticks. My initial scan of all 4 sticks came back with an overwhelming number of errors (20,000 ish) which then led me to test each individual stick. Stick 1 scanned with no errors in the first memory slot. Stick 2 scanned with no errors in the first memory slot (I was subbing each one in the first slot). After putting in the 3rd stick and powering the machine, disappointingly, there was no display on the monitor. The monitor light was flashing, it was receiving power yet no signal from the machine. Since then, I have tried most every combination of memory sticks hoping that it was some sort of connection issue, but with the same negative results- no display. The machine is receiving power, the motherboard is lit, and fans are going, yet the monitor remains on standby. I am unable to do most troubleshooting as I am without any visibility to diagnose.

My machine is a home built original with the following components:

Windows 7 Professional 64b

Processor: CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600 3.4G 8M R

Memory: 4Gx4|CORSAIR CML16GX3M4A1600C9B

Hard Drive: 2T|HITACHI HDS723020BLA642 7.2K -

Power supply: SEASONIC|SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3

Motherboard: ASUS|P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) P67

Video Card: VGA PNY VCQ4000-PB RT

I am sure that I am forgetting some information to share, but any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lostandafraid09

lostandafraid09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

I reposted in internal hardware because i thought it was more appropriate:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic454100.html

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

As you have reposted I will close this topic.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users