Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random computer crashes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Over the last couple of years, a weird error has been going on with my main computer. I have not been able to detect what could be responsible for this error, but I have some guesses.

The error is as follows. I will be running a full-screen gaming application such as World of Warcraft, and occasionally Team Fortress 2. In the middle of these games, the screen will suddenly go blank, and the keyboard becomes unresponsive. I suspect the computer may have unofficially shut down, and the monitor and keyboard are "no longer connected" because of this error. Since the monitor appears to lose input, and the keyboard is unoperational, it's very difficult to determine any kind of an error message at all. I have to turn the computer off, and turn it back on.

My guess is this might have something to do with the Virtual Memory system page size which I set in XP options. It was originally set to a size that Windows suggested, but applications run notoriously slow even with those settings, so I added more size to them. I have two HD's, so both HD's were set to 4092 MB paging file size.

If it's this paging file size that is causing any errors, I will revert them back to their original size which Windows suggested.

I also suspect video driver errors, but the driver is usually pretty solid and updated. I will try updating the driver though.

Please provide any suggestions as to why this error could be going on. Thanks. I can also provide a DirectX txt file if necessary.

Specs

- One 500 GB HD, another 150 GB HD
- 9500 GT Nvidia 512 MB Card
- AMD 64 Athlon processor

I

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well, I would try changing the paging file back to see if it is responsible. However, your statement indicates that the problem is during gaming. Does it occur at any other times or just while gaming. If it's just while gaming I would immediately suspect overheating component(s). Perhaps the computer air vents need to be blown out, or have additional fans added to the case.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Yes, it only appears during gaming. It doesn't happen when I'm surfing the internet.

#4 petercj

petercj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

If the usual driver update doesn't help, try uninstalling the driver and running Driver Sweeper (free to download), and then install the latest driver. Also, check that the video card is fully seated in its slot with the locking tab right over.

The shutdown could also be due to overheating - there are free heat monitoring applications that will run in the corner of your screen, might be worth seeing what is happening to temperatures when running these programs.

Some of the cheaper PSUs produce unstable currents which can also cause this kind of issue - the easiest way to check that out is to swap for a known good one.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Over the last couple of years, a weird error has been going on with my main computer.

This will make it harder to diagnose as you have been playing for a "few years" with the problems.

You could list the Make and Model of computer and post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy =<< Directions

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users