Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking about a X-79 LGA 2011 mobo upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hipityglop

hipityglop

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

I am looking at upgrading my motherboard and CPU. I am looking at the Intel Core i7-3820 for the LGA 2011 socket.

So the question is motherboards, and I decided that I want a good one.

There is this ASRock Fatal1ty X-79 'Champion' on E-Bay, looks like one of the first available for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-Fatal1ty-X79-Champion-Motherboard-LGA-2011-NEW-Killer-Gaming-Mobo-/170842288486?pt=Motherboards&hash=item27c6fe7166#ht_8475wt_1396

How does the Fat Champ X-79 specs/price/value compare to the Asus Rampage IV Extreme?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131802

Looks like similar specs, but I think I can get the Fatal1ty X79 Champion for much less and it has the new Creative SoundCore chip on-board.

Is it worth getting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

I would personally go for the Fatal1ty X-79 'Champion over the Asus board since it generally has more features hence, more bang for the buck though it is more expensive.

If your into FPS gaming, the Creative SoundCore chip on-board has

Scout Mode™ technology which allows you to hear enemies from further away, has high quality Japanese capacitors, supports quad channel DDR3 2500+ (OC) & more.

The only downside I can think of this board is that it might not fit standard ATX cases due to its form factor. Its 12" x 10.5" / 305 mm x 267 mm so you would have to check the case if it would fit. This goes the same for the ASUS board. More info here.

Edited by Commander Gman, 19 May 2012 - 01:20 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

I would personally, go for the ASUS for value alone-ASRock isnt necessarily a bad brand of motherboard, and it does indeed have more features, but their also ASUS budget brand of motherboard. They are owned by ASUS, and quality wise are ok-but their boards arnt always of the same quality as the ASUS boards themselves (lower end components often times) Though, if you decide to go with the ASRock board, which I dont think is a bad choice-I would find a different seller then ebay-one with a return policy for example, such as newegg. There is no return policy on that ebay seller and while the item is listed as new-which it maybe, but it maybe someone who bought the board and then turned around and resold it-which would mean if something was wrong with it from the factory (untested obviously) then you A: couldn't return it and B: ASRock may not honor the warranty since you wernt the initial buyer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 petercj

petercj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

There's a thorough and very complimentary review of the ASUS board here if it's any help:-

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_rampage_iv/16.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users