Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wierd Network Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hi

Not posted in these forums for some while, but here goes...

Having my uncle to stay since he has had to sell his house. His Vista laptop connects no problem & does not report browsing trouble. Whenever his laptop is connected (wirelessly), my tower drops the network connection (wireless) frequently, making browsing all but impossible. Is Vista that bad somehow?!?

Network drops under both Win 7 & Ubuntu 12.04. Weird huh? Not sure where to start TBH, specs on request, just wanted to sound out first. Bizarre, but true. I can use my vintage laptop OK (also wireless), so all is not lost. But tower is many magnitudes faster.

Please post your initial ideas, rebooting does not help, so not assigned same IP. And that is me all out of ideas...
ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Initial thought is log into the router/WAP and disable the security in the wireless (just temporarily). See if issue resolves. I have had some quirky experiences with Vista/W7 not playing nice with certain WEP configurations, but can't remember which ones though. Also, try changing the wireless channel in the router. Possibly too much interference.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users