Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 antivirus

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 super-grusha

super-grusha

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

Hey everyone,

I have never tried Windows 8, but I heard it has some pretty cool new features. One of the most interesting once was a build-in antivirus protection. As you know Windows has a pretty bad virus reputation.

Do you think that the build-in antivirus is good enough to protect from latest threads? And you think it will forever solve bad virus Reputation?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

You're better read this article before you decide how great Windows 8 is going to be: No DVD support in Windows 8

As for the inbuilt AV, I don't think it would be very wise to entrust the total security of your system to just one company because it makes them the main target for attackers. If security were to be compromised, then malware has carte blanche to wreak havoc with the system.

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

You're better read this article before you decide how great Windows 8 is going to be: No DVD support in Windows 8

As for the inbuilt AV, I don't think it would be very wise to entrust the total security of your system to just one company because it makes them the main target for attackers. If security were to be compromised, then malware has carte blanche to wreak havoc with the system.

If that's true and they really do start removing features consumers need and expect, then Windows 7 will be my last Windows OS. Intentionally removing needed features to force you into buying the more expensive version, is just stupid. If this is true, I expect alot of people to change over to Mac or *nix. I know I will (I already use Linux some).

On topic: Technically, you can get protection from Microsoft on Vista/7 right now. Still, most people do not use this and really do not trust it. I know I don't and would still use Kaspersky, Norton, AVG, etc. Also, if they were to make it default it would basically be like Windows Firewall - better than nothing, but not even close to being the best.

#4 jtrag

jtrag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Windows 8 has an updated version of Windows Defender that does the same job as Microsoft Security Essentials and therefore a 3rd party Antivirus Software is NOT needed. Not even MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). It's built right in.

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hey everyone,

I have never tried Windows 8, but I heard it has some pretty cool new features. One of the most interesting once was a build-in antivirus protection. As you know Windows has a pretty bad virus reputation.

Do you think that the build-in antivirus is good enough to protect from latest threads? And you think it will forever solve bad virus Reputation?

Thanks

Microsoft Defender is built into Windows 8 and it has all the features of MSE. So need to install any other third-party anti virus/malware apps. Also MSE is pretty good and recommended by many leading tech websites. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#6 zigzag3143

zigzag3143

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Despite Defender I would still have Malwarebytes. Its free and works.

#7 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

AVAST! 7 is the best free protection.. plus it features compatibility for Windows 8! have a fun day working on Windows 8 with Avast! 8D

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

Edited by Chris Appleyard, 04 July 2012 - 07:29 PM.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#8 MegaBeet

MegaBeet

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Windows 8 has an updated version of Windows Defender that does the same job as Microsoft Security Essentials and therefore a 3rd party Antivirus Software is NOT needed. Not even MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). It's built right in.

Yeah! I agree with you. Windows 8 requires no antivirus.

#9 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I agree. Wish Ubuntu would add a built in antivirus. Even ClamAV would be a decent choice with real time protection.

#10 MegaBeet

MegaBeet

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Yeah! I agree with you. Windows 8 requires no antivirus.

#11 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

I agree. Wish Ubuntu would add a built in antivirus. Even ClamAV would be a decent choice with real time protection.

I don't think Ubuntu needs any anti-virus software. Viruses in linux in the wild are rare, extremely rare. And rarely does anyone get infected by a virus in linux that causes damage. I don't think that one needs anti-virus software in linux, nope.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#12 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't think Ubuntu needs any anti-virus software. Viruses in linux in the wild are rare, extremely rare. And rarely does anyone get infected by a virus in linux that causes damage. I don't think that one needs anti-virus software in linux, nope.

No OS is immune to malware. Look at Mac's. They told people for years that they were immune and people believed them. Look at them now. Several companies now have free antivirus for Mac. It doesn't matter what OS you are on you should always use good security practices. One such malware was released in 2010 known as the Boonana Trojan.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/10/28/cross-platform-worm-targets-facebook-users/

Edit: Take a look at this. New java exploit that targets Windows, Mac and Linux.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/11/new_java_malware_attacks_apples_os_x_along_with_windows_linux.html

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 11 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#13 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

No OS is immune to malware. Look at Mac's. They told people for years that they were immune and people believed them. Look at them now. Several companies now have free antivirus for Mac. It doesn't matter what OS you are on you should always use good security practices. One such malware was released in 2010 known as the Boonana Trojan.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/10/28/cross-platform-worm-targets-facebook-users/

Edit: Take a look at this. New java exploit that targets Windows, Mac and Linux.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/11/new_java_malware_attacks_apples_os_x_along_with_windows_linux.html

I never said that Linux or any other OS for that matter - was immune to viruses. I only meant that if you use linux, there is only a small(really small) chance that a virus might infect you. Linux has only hundreds of viruses, and the majority of them still only exist in labs and the ones that come out weren't really widespread at all, compared to the 100,000+ viruses that Windows PCs are infected with every day. Linux viruses are less in number even when compared to Macs. Also, by default a user is not given high privileges on linux by default, until it's necessarily demanded by the user, which also adds to the security of linux. That may also be because they are not so popular among home users at the moment - so an anti-virus program isn't really a need on Linux.

And Ubuntu even endorses my view. But that's not to say that you shouldn't have good security practices, like even if you are on linux, you should regularly update software and the OS, and linux will help you a lot in keeping up with that. You should also use your common sense while on the internet and avoid following outright suspicious links. And that should be enough.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 12 July 2012 - 02:01 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#14 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hi..
The security features of Windows 8 operating system is the advanced version of the previous ones. these revamped features are Windows Firewall, Windows Backup system, BitLocker drive encryption. it also has additional features are SmartScreen, UEFI Secure Boot support. They are designed against the old as well as recent malwares.

#15 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

I never said that Linux or any other OS for that matter - was immune to viruses. I only meant that if you use linux, there is only a small(really small) chance that a virus might infect you. Linux has only hundreds of viruses, and the majority of them still only exist in labs and the ones that come out weren't really widespread at all, compared to the 100,000+ viruses that Windows PCs are infected with every day. Linux viruses are less in number even when compared to Macs. Also, by default a user is not given high privileges on linux by default, until it's necessarily demanded by the user, which also adds to the security of linux. That may also be because they are not so popular among home users at the moment - so an anti-virus program isn't really a need on Linux.

And Ubuntu even endorses my view. But that's not to say that you shouldn't have good security practices, like even if you are on linux, you should regularly update software and the OS, and linux will help you a lot in keeping up with that. You should also use your common sense while on the internet and avoid following outright suspicious links. And that should be enough.

My personal opinion is that you should always have an antivirus regardless of the OS, but that is just me. It's good security practice to always have an antivirus and the risk of not having one is not worth it. We are in a world that is rapidly changing in terms of the Internet where risks are much greater then they were in the past and are constantly evolving.

Edit: I understand and respect your view. Just my opinion and not anything negative towards your views. :) I've been raised into believing an antivirus software is a must on any computer.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 01 August 2012 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users