Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon i250 Printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vivienne

vivienne

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

I have had help a couple of times from this forum with problems with my Canon i250 printer which I have had for a few years now. I had purchased a lot of ink cartridges both black and colour at a reasonable price so wanted to be able to use them up. The first problem was something about the waste tank being full and I was advised how to reset the computer, and it carried on printing, although I had to reset it if I turned it off so didn't do so. Then it stopped printing black and I had some advice to set it to print on photo paper which worked and I happily carried on using my supply of ink. Now it is printing the first few lines in black and then changing to brown. I did purchase a new printer/scanner as I needed a scanner so I can print anything I am sending out to people on that, but would love to be able to use up my supply of ink for my i250 for things not as important and for my own use. I wondered if anyone had a solution to my new problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Now it is printing the first few lines in black and then changing to brown.

When this happens, do you use a new Catridge or not? original Canon or a compatible brands?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I changed the black ink because I thought it might be that causing it but it is still the same. It is a compatible brand which I have used for a few years and never had any problem with it doing it before.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think you problem is between your Catridge or Canon Print Head.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 Roger Baer

Roger Baer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

From what you have said it is most likely that you print head(s) may be clogged, stopping an adequate supply of black ink from getting to the print head and from there onto the paper. This was probably caused when you stopped shutting your printer down because of the waste container issue. When you turn off your printer at the switch on the printer it causes the printer to park your heads so that a minimum amount of air can get to them and dry out the ink remaining in the nozzles. Since you have not been doing that you now have to clean the heads.

First try running the printer through the cleaning process. This may take several attempts to clear the clog. If that does not help, remove the print head. Remove both cartridges and then raise the Grey lever on the right side of the print head assembly. That will release the print head and it can then be easily lifted out of the carriage.

First, take a soft lint free cloth and soak a portion with Windex or other household cleaner. Sorry, don't know the brand names in the UK. Take the saturated area of the cloth and gently wipe the nozzles repeatedly, removing most of the ink on the face of the nozzles. This may remove enough of the dried up ink that the cartridge may once again function properly. If that does not work move on to the following.

Next, hold the print head under running water until the color is gone, then turn it over and run the water through it from the other side, DO NO try to use high pressure as that can damage the print head, just a reasonable flow will do it. When you get to the point where the ink being washed away is minimal, completely submerge the print head in water overnight if possible. Remove the print head and dry with a paper napkin or other soft disposable paper towel. Reinstall the print head and cartridges in the printer and run it through a cleaning cycle or two to get the water out and fresh ink into the print head. Your printing should return to normal then.

If that does not work, it's time to retire the printer.

#6 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. I did about three cleans and now it will only print in Red, no matter what colour I select the text. It is strange it didn't clean the black print head if that was blocked. I feel a bit nervous about messing about with the print head and will just wait a while and see what happens. At least I can still print things out for my own use and save some of the ink from my Canon MP250. I will have to get some in for that in case the one I have runs out.

I hope this one isn't set to stop working properly after so long. I read on a forum that some of the Canon Printers are set to stop working after three years but don't know whether that is true or not. I have had it over 12 months now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users