Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:42 AM

I ran the free download 'Registry Mechanic' yesterday and I'm not sure how to deal with the results. It came
up with 280 odd errors and corrected only 61 and restricted the rest. However, unsurprisingly it says the restricted errors could be serious. Do I believe it and pay for the full version ?

trouble is I'm a complete novice and keep reading that messing with the registry can do more harm than good !

What do I do ?

I was expecting it to find some problems as I have just got rid of 'SpyFalcon' (i hope) and have installed and uninstalled several programs over the last week and have probably made loads of errors myself. But.... I was not expecting nearly 290 ! :thumbsup: Should I be worried ??

Leeboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:13 AM

"If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

Unless you are an individual totally familiar with the registry, and nothing is malfunctioning - leave it alone!

There are always issues in the registry every time you install or uninstall anything. Most don't make a difference - until you try to fix them.

Then one fix causes corruption in another part.

If you are not experiencing a problem - leave well enough alone.

If you just can't stand it and must do something - use something like CCleaner.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 February 2006 - 08:16 AM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:15 AM

Well, of course they want you to buy their software!

Just for kicks I downloaded Registry Mechanic and installed it on my main computer this morning. First let me say that this computer has zero registry errors, ZERO, according to a program that I already use and TRUST. Well, I installed Registry Mechanic and it also installed Google toolbar. This is not a good sign in my opinion. I have to wonder what else it installed or will install without my knowledge.

Then I ran the program, and on this perfectly clean machine it found 271 registry errors! Yeah, right. Give me a break.

I uninstalled the program, uninstalled Google Toolbar, and am now running other programs that I trust to scan my computer to see what garbage it may have left behind.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 THUGLIFE-

THUGLIFE-

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:26 AM

LOL typical programs you have to buy. They always find problems on a free trial run that no other software can seem to find. And it is only when they are purchaseable software. I hate that !

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

Posted ImageUse Extreme Caution!!Posted Image

Modifing your registry can damage your operating system beyond repair!

Before proceeding, backup your registry! NOW!!

That is how serious modifing your registry is. If you do not FULLY understand wht you are doing do not proceed. Even with a so called automatic registry fix it it possible to severly damage your registry. I have damaged the registry and was lucky enough to recover. I backup my registry weekly even if I don't add software to my computer. If a virus was to hit you may still need it. I may be consideredan alarmist but I would rather you have a few roge HKeys than a operating system that needs re-installing.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

Unless you are really good at computers, mucking around in your registry can cause major problems. That is why you need to make a disk backup.
I seriously wonder how much bang for the buck you get from cleaning a registry; certainly not enough to risk operating system problems and certainly not enough to spend any real money buying a cleaner.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I think in this case I'd better leave well alone ! I was drawn to this download
because because it said that it could make things run a bit faster.This is my first machine and it is a few years old, a hand-me-down in fact. Its not very fast as computers go anyway. However after constantly messing about with it over the last couple of weeks to rid it of SpyFalcon it has got even slower. Things did perk up after I ran Registry Mechanic and its a bit quicker now, but then I got to thinking about what if I sorted the rest of the so callled registry errors. Naive huh ! still- I'll learn ! the last week has been quite an education.
Some programs are still slow to start but I'll live with that for the time being. A newer computer would help !

Thanks again guys
Best Regards
Leeboy

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Why don't you start a new thread in theHardware Forum, listing your computer features, and see if the members can come up with so recommendation to help improve your computer. Depending on how old your computer is and your computing requirements you could be from less than $100 for an upgrade to a little over $250 for a new computer.

Start a new topic in Hardware.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

Have you tried all of the steps listed in the pinned topic about troubleshooting aslow computer?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

There is a safe, fast, free registry cleaner I've used for several years.
It is called "easy cleaner" by Toni Helenius. Just download and run the
registry cleaner. You won't have problems with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users