Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista problems -windows error recovery

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hello,

While corruption with installation media is not unheard of, it's hard to believe that both the Vista and Win 7 DVDs plus the recovery partition are all corrupt. While your computer hardware has apparently passed the Dell Diagnostic tests, maybe the hard drive and the memory should be tested more thoroughly.
Both procedures below require that you download an "iso" file and burn it to CD. This is best done an a different computer.

1.) Samsung was purchased by Seagate.
  • To get a second opinion regarding your hard drive health, download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system (Vista), then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.
    For reference regarding how to use Seatools for DOS see: SeaTools DOSguide.pdf.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

2.) Test computer for bad memory:
A bad RAM (Random Access Memory) module can cause unwanted computer behavior such as freezing and BSOD.

Go to Memtest86+
and download the "precompiled Iso" file here.
  • Unzip the file and burn the iso file to CD. (See how to:)
  • Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. (See how to:)
  • Boot the computer with Memtest86+ CD.
  • The program will auto start. Allow it to run through at least 7 "passes" for minimal confidence; 12-24 hours for moderate-maximum confidence or until it registers any errors.
  • The test can be stopped as soon as an error is reported (in red). Press the ESC key to reboot.
  • To isolate the problem module should you have more than one memory chip, test each chip, one at a time, in the slot closest to the CPU. Take precautions to avoid static electricity when handling sensative electronic components.
  • If a memory chip tests bad, then retest that chip in a different memory slot.
  • Remember, any errors can mean a bad memory stick or bad memory slot on the motherboard.
Alternatively, Memtest86+ can easily be installed and run from a floppy disk or USB Flash drive.

Regards,
Brooks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 jkswanda

jkswanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I ran both the Short test and Long test on the hard drive. and both passed the tests.

Then I ran the memtest86 for 10 cycles and all test passed on the memory

jkswanda

#18 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Then I ran the memtest86 for 10 cycles and all test passed on the memory

I trust when you said "cycles," you allowed it to run for 10 passes. 10 passes would take many hours to complete.

This is somewhat frustrating, isn't it.

During the installation process, after you select "Custom (advanced)"and see a screen "Where do you what to install windows," what if you select "Drive Options (advanced)," manually delete all existing partitions (Note: This will permanently remove your recovery partition) then attempt to install windows to the entire unallocated space. Just a thought since nothing else has worked.

Regards,
Brooks

#19 jkswanda

jkswanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yes I ran it for 10 passes, as it ran all night.

I could try removing the recovey, then maybe either vista or win7 would install. I think I can make a copy of the recovery directory to in case I could need it later for some reason.

jkswanda

#20 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

It's worth a try.

Regards,
Brooks

#21 jkswanda

jkswanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

I have been a sick for the last few days, fighting cancer but will try to get this checked out in next couple of days.

jkswanda

#22 jkswanda

jkswanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Installed visa the UBS and here is the result when I did a install:

Message on Install windows screen:
--windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the file install installation. Tried to install 2nd time- couldn't remove the do install ran to same spot.
couldn't back up up so x out. Tried to remove hard drive formatd;

Installed Win 7 on USB drive, than ran the install. It got copied all files, all files seem to copy, then started expanding windows files and got to about 47% and then I got this message:

Setup File screen
c:\windows\winsys\amd64-microsoft-windows-rastapi_316f3856ad364e55.6.1.600.16385_none_6ad91c00938e07e6 is corrupted and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility, install windows.
Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing.
Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.
----error code oc80070570

you can close these screens, but you have to reboot the computer to start over, as that is the only way to get back to the install screen.

jkswanda

#23 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hello jkswanda,

I hope you are feeling better.

It seems that Win 7 files are being copied to the hard drive but when expanded, some are reported as either corrupted or missing. I assume that the DVDs are all OEM branded Dell disks that came with your laptop.

Check that all DVDs are clean on the recorded surface (free of oily smudges, scratches, etc. see "How to clean DVD Disks"). Also, make sure there is nothing plugged into the laptop; i.e. local printer, camera hardware, etc. during the installation.

It might be best to try a USB drive larger than 4 GBs, if you haven't already. An 8 GB USB drive would have adequate space.

I found an interesting post (below) when searching for error code oxc0000005. This might be worth a try; first with the cleaned DVD.

Joseph M. Conde (CMIT Solutions of Centra...) Monday, October 26, 2009 7:51 PM
On a Dell system, I found that you need to do the following before installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (haven't tested this for Ultimate, but I'm confident that it would work the same way):

1. Boot into the BIOS (press F2 while the Dell splash screen is showing).
2. Go to Drives > SATA Operation.
3. Change from "RAID Autodetect / AHCI" to "RAID Autodetect / ATA".
4. Press escape, choose Save / Exit.

I hope this helps.
Joe

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/b2058551-c929-4a12-99eb-f9ae2966a5d1

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users